Virtual Box Screen Dimensions won't stick

LinuxBirdFly

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everyone, I had a quick question regarding Virtual Box on Linux. I've got an Ubuntu VM and when I change the display characteristics screen resolution using the GUI, when I close then reopen the same VM, the screen resizes it to the maximum my monitor allows. But it still leaves the old setting in the display settings, even though it isn't that size visually.

Why is this?

Hi,
Did you try installing Virtualbox Guest Addistions?
Also make sure you increase video graphics memory. Max it out.

From AskUbuntu Forum

Guest Additions is an image of a CD. It needs to be connected as a device to the VM and then launched from inside the Ubuntu guest OS.

From the VirtualBox client menu, choose DevicesInsert guest additions CD image. It will mount into Ubuntu. Once it does, run the installer from that CD/DVD image and reboot the system once it's installed.

That should allow your guest OS to resize itself properly.

Also, install build-essential dkms linux-headers-generic on Ubuntu VM

Last edited:
Why is this?

Buggered if I know, but some just don't work - no matter what you do. As mentioned above, there are guest additions. That may help. Another trick is to maximize video RAM in the settings. That seems to help sometimes.

To get Full Screen Mode...you need to install Guest Additions but it's not easy in Ubuntu.
sad0016.gif

You need to do this...

With some Distros it's easy to install Guest Additions but not so with Ubuntu as I found when I did this some time ago.
happy0035.gif

Ok I dramatically increased the video memory, same effect.
Already have guest additions installed.

I think I already did the build essentials, but when I try:
sudo apt-get install build-essentials
it leads me to this error:
man-db.service is a disabled or a static unit, not starting it.

Just to clarify, I am trying to resize it SMALLER, not larger full-screen
My host machine is 1920 x 1080

If I resize the Ubuntu VM so that it's SMALLER. It will work and shrink the box graphically, let's say 1600 x 900. but it could be anything smaller...

Then close the Ubuntu VM.

Reopen it, and it for 1 second is the correct smaller size, and then resizes to fill the entire screen.

Reopen it, and it for 1 second is the correct smaller size, and then resizes to fill the entire screen.
Okay, I understand. I experienced this on PureOS, but I use QEMU, not virtualbox. Still looking for a solution, I will post updates here as soon as I find a solution. I hope instructions are not much different on VB.

Most people want Fullscreen mode so it looks just like it's an install.
m1217.gif

Okay, I understand. I experienced this on PureOS, but I use QEMU, not virtualbox. Still looking for a solution, I will post updates here as soon as I find a solution. I hope instructions are not much different on VB.
On QEMU Virt Manager, do you use hardware acceleration OR have copy/paste from the host to VM? It appears as though you can't do both simultaneously because of virtio mode networking

Any word on this? Please it's really important to me

G'day @LinuxBirdFly and welcome to linux.org

I can't help much on the above but just two tips

it leads me to this error:
man-db.service is a disabled or a static unit, not starting it.

That is not an error, nor a warning, even, it is just an information statement.

2. It's build-essential, not build-essentials. You can check if it installed with

Code:
apt-cache policy build-essential

Good luck

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

G'day @LinuxBirdFly and welcome to linux.org

I can't help much on the above but just two tips

That is not an error, nor a warning, even, it is just an information statement.

2. It's build-essential, not build-essentials. You can check if it installed with

Code:
apt-cache policy build-essential

Good luck

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
$ apt-cache policy build-essential
Installed: 12.8ubuntu1.1
Candidate: 12.8ubuntu1.1
Version table:
*** 12.8ubuntu1.1 500
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
12.8ubuntu1 500
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/main amd64 Packages

Is there some way I'm supposed to turn off Ubuntu VMs to Save the changes or settings?
I've just been hitting power off.

Also would changing screen resolution through the command line make a difference?
xrandr --output eDP-1 --mode 1400x810
doesn't work

OK, I'll keep my Wizard's thinking cap on and if I have anything further, I will report back here.

I realise you are in a hurry, but Wizards move slowly and after 5,000 years I started slowing down considerably. Helps my blood pressure, too.

Wiz

Staff online

Members online