Virtual Drive

Nobby Hall

Reaction score
Credits
I am trying to install Office 2007 to run on LibraOffice, by using PlayOnLinux, and it just sits there when creating a virtual drive.
Any ideas what I am doing wrong and if not, how long would you expect the virtual drive take to create please?
I need the Office version of Excell to run a specific program with macros.

I am trying to install Office 2007 to run on LibraOffice
Unsure what you mean by this. Microsoft Office is one program, proprietary, LibreOffice is a different program. Run Microsoft Office on LibreOffice? How do you propose to do that?

Have you tried Kingsoft Office, which runs natively on Linux?

Kingsoft Spreadsheets allows users to perform complex data calculation and analysis. The program is compatible with Microsoft Excel (97/2000/2003/2007/2010) and possesses an interface that is similar to the latter. It has a large number of built-in formulas and numerous functions to aid in data analysis. It also has an encryption function, a built-in PDF converter and more.

@arochester is right... these are separate and different office programs that you are mixing up. I take it you are trying to install Microsoft Office with PlayOnLinux... and this should work fairly straightforward. You should not have to create a virtual drive manually... PlayOnLinux should take care of that behind the scenes.

Are you following any particular instructions to do this installation? There are some other programs available in PlayOnLinux that are sometimes needed to make things work correctly.

You might try Kingsoft Office, as @arochester recommends, or LibreOffice which you probably already have installed.... but perhaps the macros will not work. I have also had problems in the past with that, and my choice was to use LibreOffice and to re-record the macros. It's a good feeling to break the chains of Microsoft! :D:D

Cheers

Sorry sent you all down the wrong path. Up early trying to sort out another programming issue.

What I should have said is I am trying to run Office on Linux with the aid of PlayOnLinux, as you have worked out. Viewing a couple of YouTube vids, the VD is momentarily, mine goes on for ever.

Finally, I am actively seeking to break the chains of Micro**** but the program I have to use comes from the HSE, and I would not know where to start to record new macros without it losing its functionality.

You can view the macro code in Excel to figure it out, then record the actions in LibreOffice to replicate the task. But if they are overly complex, or if there are too many in use, it might not be worth the time and trouble.

I'm guessing that this is still related to the "conv" scripts that you have taken over for your deceased friend. It sounds like it was quite a complicated project!

I'm not a programmer so I have very little experience with these things, but as you dig into this and figure it out and make everything work..... I would also try to look at any way possible to simplify these tasks so that it will be easier on the next person when you hand it over to them. If it is necessary to mix and match Linux and Microsoft.... I would think there are ways to simplify the tasks with one or the other.

Cheers

You can view the macro code in Excel to figure it out, then record the actions in LibreOffice to replicate the task. But if they are overly complex, or if there are too many in use, it might not be worth the time and trouble.

I'm guessing that this is still related to the "conv" scripts that you have taken over for your deceased friend. It sounds like it was quite a complicated project!

I'm not a programmer so I have very little experience with these things, but as you dig into this and figure it out and make everything work..... I would also try to look at any way possible to simplify these tasks so that it will be easier on the next person when you hand it over to them. If it is necessary to mix and match Linux and Microsoft.... I would think there are ways to simplify the tasks with one or the other.

Cheers
As you have guessed it is quite heavy and after playing all day, time for a break. Start afresh tomorrow. The basics are running just needs tweaking to streamline it all. I should have done this 40 years ago, lol

Unsure what you mean by this. Microsoft Office is one program, proprietary, LibreOffice is a different program. Run Microsoft Office on LibreOffice? How do you propose to do that?

Have you tried Kingsoft Office, which runs natively on Linux?
I will have a look tomorrow when my brain has recovered.

Staff online