VirtualBox Ubuntu 20.04 LTS super buggy

ASoftwrEngrIThink

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, I downloaded the Ubuntu 20.04 .iso for VirtualBox because I'm on Windows 10 64bit (work laptop). I really love the look & feel of the new 20.04 Ubuntu, my only issue is the Guest Additions doesn't allow me to copy and paste between host and guest OS and drag 'N drop doesn't work either.

Also, when I watch youtube videos or anything with audio, the audio stutters and video seems laggy. It really seems buggy as hell. Not sure if this is a virtual box issue, or something with my Ubuntu installation. Can anyone provide any insight?

This is my first-time using Linux (Ubuntu) as my main OS (albeit a VM) but despite the buggy-crap, I would really love it to be my daily driver...

Ubuntu 20.04, while it is a new version, it is a long time distro. Like any distro, it's going to react to the environment that it is in. So the virtual environment can be as much a cause for stutters and lags as being on a low spec machine by itself. Even though Ubuntu is running in a virtual machine, it is still sharing resources with the host.

Ubuntu 20.04, while it is a new version, it is a long time distro. Like any distro, it's going to react to the environment that it is in. So the virtual environment can be as much a cause for stutters and lags as being on a low spec machine by itself. Even though Ubuntu is running in a virtual machine, it is still sharing resources with the host.

I HP Zbook $3000+ dollar laptop, Intel Xeon with 8 logical cores, 16 virtual, 32gb ram, Nvidia Qaudro T1000 and 1TB SSD.

I downloaded Utbuntu 20.04 and also have issues with hanging in VM virtualbox latest version. Same thing with PClinux, and KALI sometimes hangs. I tried to bump the ram up, and give them plenty of virtual HD space. I have a 2tb ssd with an Icore7 running Windows 10 64bit with 16gb ram. I tried several flavors of linux including mint, Redhat, Knoppix and Ubuntu studio. They all run half ass slow, and give error messages constantly. I am starting to think it's like the other guy said, that the virtualbox doesn't like Linux. But I also tried TAILS, and it ran crappy too. I increased my page file size for all the good it did, and I disabled my NORD vpn just to test it. Nothing is helping. I like Linux and want to have confidence that it will be stable and run as advertised. I am using more ram and HD size than recommended. Could that create problems giving more ram then Oracle recommends for config for these OS's? Come on Linux guru's I can't be the only one with these issues besides the previous post, HELP A NUBIE OUT PLEASE. Thanks PS, I have been looking on VMwares forums with little help.

Oracle is a POS and 20.04 is buggier than hell -- what do you expect?
Run Linux (Debian or Slackware) straight off the SSD or hdd and everything else in VM. Then, you might have something worth of the money spent!

i installed virtual box on slackware on route to trying laravel php framework. It was resource hogging and since i'm old school i couldn't adjust from a mouse on PC and mouse on VirtualBox OS -don't laugh ! there is another approach ..obviously a live OS on a usb is npt the same as on virtual. But whats your thoughts on a Live OS where there is persistence of a live OS on a usb and you can install softeware ? i have that with slackware; i did try with multibootusb for debian derivatives and it didn't go well

so humor me ; whats the pros and cons of a OS live on a usb where you can install software with persistence and an OS on virtual box.

I will kick it off there's more room on my H.D without Virtualbox

@captain-sensible -- not a bad idea. Somethinf like antiX 19.1 with persistence may work well. (19.2 seems a little buggy to me.)
I'm gone for a day or two. Run with it!

Members online

Latest posts