Virus guards for Linux? Is it necessary

OP
Tharindu

Tharindu

Reaction score
Credits
There's also antivirus live CD http://antiviruslivecd.4mlinux.com/

IMHO, installing an AV in Linux is a waste of time and resources. I've been using Linux like for 10 years or so and never, ever had a single issue regarding viruses, malware or any other kind of "infection". That being said, I think using something like AV live CD might be a better approach; don't have to install, just boot the live OS, and scan my system(s).
Yeah, i guess thats a better idea. I was in a doubt whether to install an AV or not. Ill try this. Thanks for the reply

Tolkem

Reaction score
Credits
So, to clearly answer your question. No, Linux isn't absolutely necessary on Linux.
Hmmm ... that doesn't seem any "clearly" to me ;) Did you mean, "AVs are not necessary on Linux?

OP
Tharindu

Tharindu

Reaction score
Credits
Hey @Tharindu! :) Welcome to Linux, and linux.org! :D It's up to you, as to whether or not you want to use AV Software in your Linux Distro. I use ClamAV because, well, I can... ;) And, 'cuz it never hurts, though I've never, to my knowledge, had some dangerous Virus or Trojan or some Malware on the Linux Distro(s) I use. Linux IS more secure, mostly due to the fact that it's Free and Open Source, which means many people can (and do) scan the Code for any bugs. :) And though a few ones don't get spotted for a while, they do eventually. ;)

Also, Linux uses Programs from the BSDs (FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, etc.) that are really good, like OpenSSH, among many others. But the most important Antivirus is YOU. :) Always use common sense, and don't install anything that isn't in a given Linux Distro's repositories, or if outside Programs ARE known to be secure and reliable, than you can use those too. Though, I've never had much of a reason to that often, since pretty much anything and everything you'd need (especially if you're a person who just watches videos, listens to music, goes Online, etc.). :)

Lastly, usually Linux Servers run AV Software, because many Windows users ALSO use those Servers, like Google's or this lovely, sexy Website here. :D

Always use common sense
I guess this advice is better than any AV. .
Thank u very much

dcbrown73

Reaction score
Credits
Hmmm ... that doesn't seem any "clearly" to me ;) Did you mean, "AVs are not necessary on Linux?
Ha, yeah. I was trying to compose that while I'm at work. I was actually on a scrum with my team when that happen.

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits
Never even knew that they have their own brave search engine.
I do not use their search engine. I use duckduckgo. Why?...see my signature below

captain-sensible

Reaction score
Credits
seeing as this is fairly current , i guess I can't be accused of poring Coca Cola on it as in "come alive with coca cola"

if you are going to use clamav a couple of tips

Firstly clamscan doesn't create output to a log unless you tell it to.

So a simple way of getting output is a simple text file on your Desktop and include something like this , in your instruction --log=/home/andrew/Desktop/clamscan.txt

Unless you use -v flag you can't see what its doing, if anything, nor where its scanning . Trouble is, with -v flag there's a lot of output and if clamscan finds something its all mixed in with it, or you just use the --infected flag, but as i said a scan could take quite sometime and then you wonder if its frozen or something else. Also there's some locations which i understand can't be infected with a virus because they don't exist ! By that I mean they are virtual .

So i include these tags --exclude-dir=/sys/ --exclude-dir=/proc/ --exclude-dir=/dev/

To play with clamscan you can get a free virus from https://www.eicar.org/?page_id=3950

A typical test for that was :

Code:
[[email protected]:~/Desktop][1]$ sudo clamscan -r --infected --remove=no  --log=clamscan2.txt  virus
/home/andrew/Desktop/virus/eicar_com.zip: Win.Test.EICAR_HDB-1 FOUND
/home/andrew/Desktop/virus/eicar.com: Win.Test.EICAR_HDB-1 FOUND

where "virus" was the directory on my Desktop holding the test virus

Recently i ran this :

Code:
sudo clamscan -r -v -o --infected --remove=yes --exclude-dir=/sys/ --exclude-dir=/proc/ --exclude-dir=/dev/ --log=/home/andrew/Desktop/clamscan.txt

Now thats produced quite a bit of output too much to mouse scroll through , in the summary it just said "1 infection" or something along those lines , but not waht nor where. So how do you find it ?

First thing is to know how clamscan "flags up" a problem , is it "infected" - no , is it "virus" -no

its simply the word "FOUND" so to get entries from clamscan.txt i used:

Code:
$ grep "FOUND" clamscan.txt                    (10-08 09:48)
Scanning /run/timeshift/backup/timeshift/snapshots/2021-09-22_11-27-34/localhost/usr/share/httpd/error/HTTP_NOT_FOUND.html.var
Scanning /run/timeshift/backup/timeshift/snapshots/2021-09-22_11-27-34/localhost/usr/share/man/man3/SD_BUS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND.3.gz
Scanning /run/timeshift/backup/timeshift/snapshots/2021-09-22_11-27-34/localhost/usr/share/man/man3/SD_BUS_ERROR_MATCH_RULE_NOT_FOUND.3.gz
Scanning /usr/share/httpd/error/HTTP_NOT_FOUND.html.var
Scanning /usr/share/man/man3/SD_BUS_ERROR_MATCH_RULE_NOT_FOUND.3.gz
Scanning /usr/share/man/man3/SD_BUS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND.3.gz
/home/andrew/.thunderbird/t5di4c7x.default-release/ImapMail/imap.gmail.com/INBOX: Heuristics.Phishing.Email.SpoofedDomain FOUND

So it was showing /home/andrew/.thunderbird/t5di4c7x.default-release/ImapMail/imap.gmail.com/INBOX: Heuristics.Phishing.Email.SpoofedDomain FOUND as the issue

Nik-Ken-Bah

Reaction score
Credits
$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Members online