VMWare Tools Install - Frustration with using Perl to install

dawnrunner

Reaction score
Credits
Hi Guys,

I'm a bit of a noob with Linux, and would appreciate some help.

I've installed Android 9 on VMware, and have extracted VMware Tools, ready to install. I've also installed Perl, which was required (I believe) to execute the .pl installation script.

When I attempt to install using "Perl /mnt/tmp/vmware-install.pl" I get an error saying it can't find lsmod, and wants me to specify the directory to continue install.

I know lsmod lives at /sbin (which I can only access as a root user), however when I try and specify /sbin/lsmod or /sbin it says it's not a valid directory and needs the full name of the binary.

Do I need to specify something else in the path?

OR Is it possible that when executing Perl, it doesn't know that I'm root, so can't find the location?

Alternatively, could I resolve this by setting an environment variable for lsmod (path to the location?)

Thanks heaps.

Hi Guys,

I'm a bit of a noob with Linux, and would appreciate some help.

I've installed Android 9 on VMware, and have extracted VMware Tools, ready to install. I've also installed Perl, which was required (I believe) to execute the .pl installation script.

When I attempt to install using "Perl /mnt/tmp/vmware-install.pl" I get an error saying it can't find lsmod, and wants me to specify the directory to continue install.

I know lsmod lives at /sbin (which I can only access as a root user), however when I try and specify /sbin/lsmod or /sbin it says it's not a valid directory and needs the full name of the binary.

Do I need to specify something else in the path?

OR Is it possible that when executing Perl, it doesn't know that I'm root, so can't find the location?

Alternatively, could I resolve this by setting an environment variable for lsmod (path to the location?)

Thanks heaps.
Where is your install.pl script?

Setting an environment variable for lsmod and it's exact PATH may help.
Try it. Worse case Bash will complain and give you an error:-

If it fails than you will have to become root cd to the full path to lsmod so that Bash can see it than run your script.

When you have time please show what the command-line is returning when you run the script.

Some binaries can be stored in more than one directory so it could get interesting to say the least.
Here's a link to finding the binaries with the grep cmd.

Android is not comparable to a GNU/Linux distribution because it running a customized kernel and on top of the basic OS function it is mostly running java applications. Also my guess that is that vmware-install.pl intall script is meant for being run on your average GNU/Linux distribution, so you will most likely run into issues running it on Android.

It looks like you need perl-android-apk

Command-line tools for Android:

If it fails than you will have to become root cd to the full path to lsmod so that Bash can see it than run your script.

When you have time please show what the command-line is returning when you run the script.

Some binaries can be stored in more than one directory so it could get interesting to say the least.

Thanks heaps for your reply. It's really helpful. Here is the initial error I was receiving (attached) - sorry I had to attach the file, as couldn't get cut/paste to work between VMWare and Windows.

Attachments

• Perl error.png
    Perl error.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 160
Interesti

Interestingly, at ~$ level I can run perl, but NOT access /sbin directory, but if I access su I can access /sbin but then perl is not found (attached)

Attachments

• su.png
    su.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 159
Thanks heaps for your reply. It's really helpful. Here is the initial error I was receiving (attached) - sorry I had to attach the file, as couldn't get cut/paste to work between VMWare and Windows.
It can't find lsmod.
Are you sure it's installed?

If your sure that lsmod is installed than specify the full path to where it's installed by hand.

Link to the script?

BTW, I'm not good with Windows.
I haven't ran Windows in 13 years:-

Getting A List of Active Kernel Drivers for Android

Last edited:
IF you keep having trouble you may want to join the Android Forums.

I'm out of ideas, sorry--

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts