VMware

C

ChrisPy

I am still pretty new to Linux and am trying to mess with it again. I keep hearing about vmware and am wondering
what anyone has to say about it or suggestions on which dist. are better and what not. Also am curious about hiding my IP and other online protection(s). How do you stop people from knowing every little thing you do on your computer???

Thanks.

Google Virtual box. Its very easy to use and most distros have it in their repositories so its easy to install.

Trails is a Linux distro specifically for anonymity. I've never used it, but you can read about it. I use distrowatch.org to read about all distros and keep track of new ones.

Right on, that's kinda what I want, but not Google lol. I want something non-conglomerate.

VMWare is good. They have a built in "easy installer" that can be annoying. I use VMWare at work to run Debian and CentOS, both run like a charm. The only distro I've had problems with is openSUSE because of that damn "easy installer" I couldn't find a way to disable.

Virtualbox by Oracle is another good option. I haven't used it n years though.

Anonymity is a tougher beast. If you use a Linux open distro (not Ubuntu) and ecnrypt your HDD your desktop will be fairly safe, the bigger issue is online communication, which has nothing to do with the desktop you're running.

https://prism-break.org/en/

I am running VMware player now...Win8.1 is the host and Linux Mint 16 the guest. The biggest issue I had was installing the VMware tools, used youtube for that. Yes it took time, but I had to overcome quite a few learning curves, one being I am clueless on Linux. Yet, I am using it now.

As to not being tracked when online? That is a tough one. I do know Firefox has add-on's to cover your tracks, how well do they work I don't know even though I use them ie Google Tracking 1.9.

Reducing the amount of tracking can be done by using Start Page and Duck Duck Go for web searches, instead of the evil Google.

Start Page and Duck Duck Go are both quite good for regular searches. DDG does not return as many results as google, but still generates quite a few. SP returns about as many results as Google, because they use Google to do the search, but remove the searcher's IP address before sending out the signal. Both are excellent search engines if conducting searches for web sites, but both are almost useless if searching for images. Overall, I recommend both.

Tails and Whonix are the most "stick it to the man." and most anonymous. As for security, DO NOT use hidemyass. They keep logs, and have given them to law enforcement. I highly recommend using a VPN, SOCKS 5 proxy is fine. A VPN is like a proxy, but it's encrypted link between your computer and the VPN and even your ISP can only see you are connected, but none of your traffic. Good criteria for a VPN provider is no logs, not in the USA, and a good reputation. I recommend mullvad. Also, the PPTP protocol is cryptographically broken so don't use it. If you pair Tor with a VPN you are golden, but it really all depends on who you want to hide from. Shoot me a message if you wanna know more.

As for security, DO NOT use hidemyass. They keep logs, and have given them to law enforcement.
I just discovered Hide My Ass and have used them. Not all proxy use is for security. For example; because of my location, many web sites are unavailable to me with regular browsing. Many North Americans and Europeans have a habit of banning all IP addresses originating in entire countries. If a service like Hide My Ass allows me to use the internet, I do not care if they keep logs of my activity. Although, if your information is correct, using them to remain hidden would be a bad idea. I'll keep it in mind for future reference.

@Cyber-Berserker

Been trying DDG and SP, not bad. Have to admit DDG has gotten much better. Perhaps it is just me, but they seem to cut out the "crap" which is a big plus.

@Aether

Interesting, will check it out.

One bit of advice I received from the Oracle board for Virtualbox, Do install the extension pack as this will allow your OS to utilize USB 2.0. After you install the pack and check off USB 2.0 in the settings, go to a terminal and enter in this command sudo usermod -aG vboxusers <your username> if your using Ubuntu 12.0.4. I think the command may be usable in other versions if you log in as root (without sudo), but with Ubuntu this is what I used and I am now able to sync iTunes with my iPod Touch where I was having issues with Rhythmbox and Banshee. They both will import tunes, but syncing was a disaster.

Members online