Want raspberry pi need help

simple person

Reaction score
Credits
Hello. I joined this forum a while back. Very helpful. I was taken step by step a to how to install Linux mint on a used laptop. It was a wonderful experience.

the laptop was used and the keyboard was not responsive, and my needs are very very few. I would like to purchase a raspberry pi 400 kit. I understand it is quite easy to put together.

I need this little bundle for : doing internet searches, sending and receiving e mail.
That's all.
I May use for writing simple document occasionally,
or to download a document received
by e mail.. but that's it..
ok yes, checking the weather.

for very very very basic and simple needs, do you think this would fill my bill?

I saw a kit and it included a keyboard. I have a wireless router, and I am assuming I could have wireless access point.

there were a couple extra items offered for the unit.
I think I will need and am considering purchasing with the basic kit
a micro SD a card 64 GB a class 10 blank
7" HDMI Display
male to female GO 10 ribbon cable??
5 ft Cat 6 Ethernet cable

can You please help me, someone. No rush but help so appreciated.
simple person

Hello, I think that will work but if you have the space I would buy a plain RPI4 and use that with an external USB hard drive. For setting it up depending on where you get it the os may be prewritten if not get pi imager and write USB boot switch if you use USB boot then write to rasbian boot setup and you should be done. If you want more out of the box os I would get twisteros and that would be the same as rasbian except you would have to choose the twisteros file.

I think the os is prewritten.
I phoned the company. She said the unit is complete and nothing required.

Anyhow, I have ordered one. If I have more questions, may I ask here?

Hopefully you got the Pi 4 4gb or 8gb.
This should get you started .

Any questions you have I will be more than happy to help.

pi400 is awesome!

Check out magpi magazine online. It is the official magazine of the Raspberry PI Foundation. You can download it free. They have step by step tutorials for getting the pi up and running. Start with the latest issue, 111 as I recall, and work your way back. There are also manuals on the foundation site for newbies to the pi. Until you get it up and running, why not connect an external keyboard to your laptop via USB? Oh, yes, and welcome to the group.:)

Happy Trails,
Paul

If ya want a boost in speeds get an sd card load PI OS then copy the external sd card to an ssd reboot then remove all sd cards while the system is off . To get a reward of 40X faster.
SD copier on stock OS doesn't know the difference between sd and ssd so send it!

sd operating system run + external sd card+ ssd = the greatest single board cpu experience.

Thank you SO MUCH, especially VP9 KS most recently. But also xxxNORDXx and others! Thank you. And same to others who have given me such thoughtful responses and encouragement. I am looking firward to getting my raspberry pi kit which is in the mail, and downloading the newbie guide...
this is wonderful
many thanks
simple person

Thank you SO MUCH, especially VP9 KS most recently. But also xxxNORDXx and others! Thank you. And same to others who have given me such thoughtful responses and encouragement. I am looking firward to getting my raspberry pi kit which is in the mail, and downloading the newbie guide...
this is wonderful
many thanks
simple person
If you need any help we have your back!

I will recommend you stay away from Kali Linux as the Pc/ 86x version is better but more suited for experienced hacker type.

Sorry let me correct that by saying Kali is more for the I.T internet security and pen testing and it also has many other things that you really should steer clear of if you don't know what your doing.
It's a very complicated OS .
I am still novice to it's capabilities but from what I learned could put me in a spot that I don't want to be in....

Have my raspberry pi and a small screen whitch is sold with the unit I purchased. I cannot seem to connect the screen to the keyboard. I went to the beginners guide and 'set up' and it said under the heading 'connecting a display'..
..take the micro HDMI cable and connect the smaller end into the micro HDMI port on the raspberry pi. Can't make it work.all else is ok.
Mouse plugged in power on and plugged in. Just need some kind of a display. I do not have a computer or television to display onto.
thanks
simple
1636136870559.jpeg

Ok, what you have is the raspberry Pi 400. This has a slightly faster processor than the Pi 4 which I am using right now. If you look at the rear of the computer. the connectors (from left to right) are, the 40 pin GPIO (general purpose input/output) the micro SD card slot (Hopefully this micro sd card has the operating system on it), HDMI1, HDMI2 (the two monitor connections), The micro usb connector for power input, two USB3 connectors(the blue ones), one USB2 connector (for the mouse), and the Gigabit ethernet port. I see that you have the cable for the monitor. You need to plug the micro HDMI end of that into the HDMI1 port on the rear of the computer. It is a D shaped connector, so you need to get a close look at it to align it correctly, else it will not go in.

I am not familiar with the display that you are showing. Does it also have a power supply?

Also did you get the kit with the operating system already installed on the micro sd card?

Let us know how it works out for you, mate.

Happy Trails,
Paul

Thank you. Your post and recommendations were understood. Got my D shaped connectors all lined up. The one inserts nicely into the little screen which came with the kit. I have taken a photo and attached it. The other end of the cable had the same sized connector and also an attachable end which brought the size down of the d shaped cable to hdm1 and 2 size. To go into the pi.
would the HDMI cable feed power from the pi to the screen? I don't see an input for a power cord in the screen, but there is a dc connection. Something called "touch" looks like what you would plug into you phone to charge it, and something called VGA. 60AA9898-3BC8-4BC7-BE31-62E264F0694F.jpeg

Latest posts