want to switch to linux but need help

Fury

Reaction score
Credits
Hey guys, so i recently got a laptop, and i want to switch to linux. now i dont know anything about programming or anything related to that. i just want get into hacking(not for the wrong things or anythin i just wanna learn it because its cool lol and fun to do). i heard linux is good for that but i dont know how to start. any help would be appericiated a lot.

what have you currently got on your laptop- don't just try wiping everything off otherwise if its uefi you will get a bootup headache . usual approach is to boot a live linux distro from a usb stick ,or run live cd if you have a cd rom ;see if you like it .

what have you currently got on your laptop- don't just try wiping everything off otherwise if its uefi you will get a bootup headache . usual approach is to boot a live linux distro from a usb stick ,or run live cd if you have a cd rom ;see if you like it .
Will do that. I’l Probably get a usb stick with 8-16GB hope that’s enough?

8 gig should be ok for knoppix depending on size of overlay if you go for one ; for other live distro here is the issue. The developers work on the basis that you expect to see the same thing live as you would doing a full install. In other words if you see kde live and then a full install and its xfce you might be irritated. The downside is that chunk resource hogging desktop makes usb slow. Knoppix is not bad but if you pick the wrong iso eg slackware live with kde its s real pain. Also for disks you get them free with Linuxformat mag etc

one other thing is the approach to want things to run out of the box Ubuntu or you also want to learn more about linux and don't mind tweaking a few things or even a bit of editing to make things work , because some distros work on the basis you choose what you want to run then have a look at Slackware.

@Nik-Ken-Bah @captain-sensible i appreciate you guys helping me out. But the probelm is I’m legit a beginner. Like when I get Ubuntu on my usb stick how do I activate it? I heard you need to restart your laptop and press F12 or somethin. Is there a video or anything that can explain it out well? And also captain when you started about talking the live distro I was lost. What is that? So sorry I know I’m asking a lot of dumb questions, but I really wanna get into Ubuntu and programming

ok what i mean by live basically means its not generally meant to be installed; knoppix is a good example and is even promoted as "best live distro in world " or something similar. now to put a distro onto a usb stick will depend on what your running .I'm already running linux so i just do a dd command. if your on windows you are going to need another approach.

Now what ever operating system your using there is a process of "booting" it . Normally with an operating system say only Windows on a hard drive its all automatic and happens whether you know whats involved or not.

Now if your on a journey to try Linux there is a learning curve where now you need to know a little of how things work. So lets take it step by step . When you start up any computer usually for a few seconds you get on the screen "to access boot menu click F9 " 0r similar. To get to BIOS hit delete or F10 . To be honest i can never remember. But new computers try to alienate Linux users..and piss of Linus Torvalds ..eer hem ....i mean try to be more secure so you can't boot anything but the OS it came with unless you go into BIOS and disbale secure boot

But lets go back to basics ; lets say you have a linux operating system correctly put onto a USB stick. Then to get it running all you do it choose from the "boot menu" to boot that - that means you are booting and will be using an OS running on a usb stick and bypass the OS on your hard drive.

The interesting thing form that OS on the USB stick you can navigate to see the hard drive on your computer and "do things" to it if required. meaning a linux distro on a usb stick can be like a Swiss Army knife. For instance if you forget your Windows password ; you can boot from knoppix on a stick ; run a command an re-set your password !

If there’s any hope for me left lol
Yes! Just calm down and relax and listen and think about what you are being advised and you will be fine. Even I am learning from you and your problem. :) as I too am a beginner in the Linux world.

There are a couple of things that i refer to and stood me in good stead 1) Other people are only further along the learning curve than you - hopefully they remember banging their heads off walls and have empathy and don't become pompous 2) Keep reading things ; if you don't understand it , go back to it a day or week, or month later and keep reading ti until you do understand it 3) There are no stupid questions

Hol
The interesting thing form that OS on the USB stick you can navigate to see the hard drive on your computer and "do things" to it if required. meaning a linux distro on a usb stick can be like a Swiss Army knife. For instance if you forget your Windows password ; you can boot from knoppix on a stick ; run a command an re-set your password !
[/
holy damn. That’s the exact reason I want to get into this. Like being able to do that is just amazing. And I will read this over and over. I really appreciate you helping me out man. I just hope I learn all of this as fast as I can

Man you guys make me really wanna get into this ASAP lol. Like programming and knowing stuff about computers is really interesting for me. Specially getting into hacking and stuff. Just so I can say I know how to hack, I’m not gonna do it ofc but just knowing it, gives you a advantage of some kind ig lol. Just making this worse. Anyhow. Really appreciate it @captain-sensible @Nik-Ken-Bah

Also when I get the usb stick. So I just connect it with the computer and when I download Ubuntu or L.mint it will give me a option to put it in my usb stick right?

Members online

Latest posts