WATCHDOG: BUG: soft lockup-CPU#2

Dennis Burge

Reaction score
Credits
I am supremely enjoying LinuxMint. I recently suspended my laptop by closing the lid! Upon return the problem started. The startup is not as smooth and the LT will not shut off. Mint will shut down with the above message adding that it cannot forward the msg because it cannot connect. I surmise that watch dog would connect and notify someone/something of this problem. What do you think? Would the easy way out to just reinstall this mint product? How would that work? Thank you in advance

Sleep/suspend/hibernation states can be wonky in Linux sometimes, and most especially hibernation (which may actually be what your laptop is set to do when the lid is closed). This page first lets you pick which desktop edition of Mint you are using, and then offers 10 "essential" things he recommends people to do, and also some "recommended" things (12 for Cinnamon, 9 for Mate, 16 for Xfce)... one of which is to disable hibernation in the "recommended" category.

I don't know if disabling hibernation (and correcting your power settings) will cure your problem immediately. But if you aren't too far into this installation and re-installing is an easy option for you, that should certainly fix the issue, and then you could disable hibernation afterwards.

You don't need to follow each and every recommendation on the link above, but it is really good to read through them and consider them. The info is very useful, and I keep his site bookmarked and refer back to it every time I install or reinstall Mint.

Cheers

Sleep/suspend/hibernation states can be wonky in Linux sometimes, and most especially hibernation (which may actually be what your laptop is set to do when the lid is closed). This page first lets you pick which desktop edition of Mint you are using, and then offers 10 "essential" things he recommends people to do, and also some "recommended" things (12 for Cinnamon, 9 for Mate, 16 for Xfce)... one of which is to disable hibernation in the "recommended" category.

I don't know if disabling hibernation (and correcting your power settings) will cure your problem immediately. But if you aren't too far into this installation and re-installing is an easy option for you, that should certainly fix the issue, and then you could disable hibernation afterwards.

You don't need to follow each and every recommendation on the link above, but it is really good to read through them and consider them. The info is very useful, and I keep his site bookmarked and refer back to it every time I install or reinstall Mint.

Cheers
I appreciate your help. Thank you

Members online