WATERFOX

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits
I am interested in this browser.

I cannot find a ppa for it.....what am I missing ?

Do I really have to figure out the gobbledegook associated with tar.gz etc files crap ???

Surely in 2020 there is a simple approach.

Linux/Ubuntu etc etc is trying to attract people to the Linux side of things....not drive them away :mad:

Convert tar.bz2 -> .deb via Alien ?

this is what i got waterfox-current_2020.09.-2_all.deb too large to upload.
it installed on Mint 19 but can't see to launch

Preparing to unpack waterfox-current_2020.09.-2_all.deb ...
Unpacking waterfox-current (2020.09.-2) ...
Setting up waterfox-current (2020.09.-2) ...
mint@mint:~/Desktop$

Last edited:
Just going for more coffee to wake up after a 500km road trip yesterday, but I run about 3 different methods of Waterfox over the last 6 months, so may be able to assist.

It is default browser on all of my Linux now.

Avagudweegend

Wiz

Do I really have to figure out the gobbledegook associated with tar.gz etc files crap ???
It isn't as bad as you think. Download the tar.bz2 file from the Waterfox website, extract it where you want (it makes its own folder), open a terminal in the new waterfox folder, and give the command ./waterfox. Allow or don't allow it to import bookmarks. Done! :)

Thank you, stan
The blurb from Terminal looks like this :
brian@brian-desktop:~/waterfox$ ./waterfox.
bash: ./waterfox.: No such file or directory
brian@brian-desktop:~/waterfox$ ./waterfox
JavaScript error: resource:///modules/WaterfoxProfileMigrator.jsm, line 35: ReferenceError: AppConstants is not defined
JavaScript error: chrome://browser/content/migration/migration.js, line 243: TypeError: this._migrator is null
console.log: "Loaded BootstrapLoader"
1601684527500 [email protected] WARN Loading extension '[email protected]': Reading manifest: Invalid extension permission: mozillaAddons
1601684527500 [email protected] WARN Loading extension '[email protected]': Reading manifest: Invalid extension permission: telemetry
1601684527501 [email protected] WARN Loading extension '[email protected]': Reading manifest: Invalid extension permission: resource://pdf.js/
1601684527501 [email protected] WARN Loading extension '[email protected]': Reading manifest: Invalid extension permission: about:reader*
*** UTM:SVC TimerManager:registerTimer - id: xpi-signature-verification
*** AUS:SVC Creating UpdateService
*** AUS:SVC Logging current UpdateService status:
*** AUS:SVC UpdateService.canCheckForUpdates - able to check for updates
*** AUS:SVC getCanApplyUpdates - testing write access /home/brian/waterfox/update.test
*** AUS:SVC shouldUseService - returning false
*** AUS:SVC getCanApplyUpdates - able to apply updates
*** AUS:SVC gCanStageUpdatesSession - testing write access /home/brian/waterfox/update.test
*** AUS:SVC gCanStageUpdatesSession - testing write access /home/brian/update.test
*** AUS:SVC gCanStageUpdatesSession - able to stage updates
*** AUS:SVC Elevation required: false
*** AUS:SVC Update being handled by other instance: false
*** AUS:SVC Downloading: false
*** AUS:SVC End of UpdateService status
*** AUS:SVC getCanApplyUpdates - testing write access /home/brian/waterfox/update.test
*** UTM:SVC TimerManager:registerTimer - id: browser-cleanup-thumbnails
*** AUS:SVC Checker:getUpdateURL - update URL: https://www.waterfox.net/update/Waterfox/2020.09/aurora/Linux/update.xml
*** AUS:SVC Checker: checkForUpdates, force: false
*** AUS:SVC Creating UpdateService
*** AUS:SVC Logging current UpdateService status:
*** AUS:SVC Elevation required: false
*** AUS:SVC Update being handled by other instance: false
*** AUS:SVC Downloading: false
*** AUS:SVC End of UpdateService status
*** AUS:SVC Checker:getUpdateURL - update URL: https://www.waterfox.net/update/Waterfox/2020.09/aurora/Linux/update.xml
*** AUS:SVC Checker:checkForUpdates - sending request to: https://www.waterfox.net/update/Waterfox/2020.09/aurora/Linux/update.xml
JavaScript error: resource:///modules/sessionstore/SessionStore.jsm, line 1325: uncaught exception: 2147746065
*** AUS:SVC Checker:eek:nLoad - request completed downloading document
*** AUS:SVC Checker:eek:nLoad - Getting sslStatus failed.
*** AUS:SVC Checker:eek:nLoad - number of updates available: 0
*** AUS:SVC UpdateManager:_loadXMLFileIntoArray - XML file does not exist. path: /home/brian/waterfox/active-update.xml
*** UTM:SVC TimerManager:notify - notified timerID: browser-cleanup-thumbnails

The blurb from Terminal looks like this :
But it runs, doesn't it? Mine does. I have found the latest Thunderbird download (instead of that supplied by the distro) also behaves like this. I think all you are seeing is startup initialization reports, like Linux itself used to do before it was masked with distro logos. Some distros still show the initializations though.

You also cannot close the terminal when Waterfox (or Thunderbird) is running in this manner. Keep in mind that you are not "installing" the program. You are only running a precompiled binary that should be compatible with your Linux.

Yes, it does run. !

How do I establish a desktop link or panel link ?...is it possible...or do I just open terminal and 'rinse and repeat'.....leaving the terminal permanently open...

Yes, it does run. !

How do I establish a desktop link or panel link ?...is it possible...or do I just open terminal and 'rinse and repeat'.....leaving the terminal permanently open...
Sure, you can make a launcher to click (or double click) on. It may depend on your distro. I just right-click on the desktop and choose "Create Launcher." Then I enter the path to the executable file and the working directory where the executable is located, choose an icon, and Create or whatever the button says. The launcher on the desktop needs a double-click.

You can drag and drop the desktop icon to your panel, and it will only need a single click. After putting on the panel, you can delete it from the desktop if you prefer.

And doing this eliminates the need for the terminal. So don't check the box when creating a launcher that says, "Run in terminal."

Just going for more coffee to wake up after a 500km road trip yesterday, but I run about 3 different methods of Waterfox over the last 6 months, so may be able to assist.

It is default browser on all of my Linux now.

Avagudweegend

Wiz
How does waterfox differ from firefox and why do you like it better than firefox since you have it as your default browser on all of your systems?

Last edited:
Brian

Are you on Ulyana Cinnamon or MATE currently?

Some of the above is well-intentioned, but not quite as straight-forward as some of the input would suggest.

There are 3 - 4 or more ways to download Waterfox, and at least 3 different "flavours", depending on which site you visit.

Getting updates automated, or updating yourself vary from one to another.

Good news is that once you download the package of your choice you don't have to make and compile, in Cinnamon and MATE you can use "Configure Menu" and "edit Menu" to create a launcher.

Brief answer to @f33dm3bits is in part that your favourite profile is more easily transferred from one Distro to another, which is essential if you are a multi-booter like I am.

Brian, give me an hour or two into our Sunday and I will stitch up a summary for you. Have a red-bellied black snake to check is no longer in my garage in addition to other chores, OK?

Wiz, nite-nite

I created a created a firefox sync account for that reason a couple of weeks ago. I found it quite useful, no more manually having to copy everything over.

Last edited:
On Ulyana CINNAMON.

Thanks Chris.

Send the snake a message first.

I cannot find a ppa for it.....what am I missing ?

It's all we had for a long time.. :)
Aren't deb and rpm packages great!

I'm not running waterFox currently, but I have in the past.

[root@abstower1 yum.repos.d]# dnf search waterfox
Copr repo for stackrpms owned by bgstack15 153 kB/s | 163 kB 00:01
Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:01 ago on Sat 03 Oct 2020 09:33:20 AM PDT.
============================================= Name & Summary Matched: waterfox ==============================================
waterfox.src : Waterfox Web browser
waterfox.x86_64 : Waterfox Web browser
waterfox-debuginfo.x86_64 : Debug information for package waterfox
waterfox-debugsource.x86_64 : Debug sources for package waterfox
waterfox-filesystem.src : Waterfox filesytem layout
waterfox-filesystem.x86_64 : Waterfox filesytem layout
waterfox-ublock-origin.noarch : uBlock Origin installed to system Waterfox extensions directory
waterfox-ublock-origin.src : uBlock Origin installed to system Waterfox extensions directory

G'day all - I have a number of Posts I am putting together, but for purposes of the OP getting up and running, I will deal with them discretely, and give him one to start with if he wishes to see if Waterfox is what he is looking for.

A number of the Posts may fall into your category of TL;DR but there is a lot to be covered.

I'll take them in the order in which they were suggested and I make no criticism on the methods suggested, as all help is welcome and appreciated :)

I have been using Waterfox since last December, and I have tried, I think, all of the methods described.

The focus will be on Brian's Linux Mint Cinnamon, make adjustments for your own environment.

Wiz

Andy’s @captain-sensible ‘s method is not difficult but involves a few steps and choices.

Andy refers to a package called Alien, by Joey Hess (currently maintained by Kyle Barry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_(file_converter)

I’ve been using Alien since 2014, when I embraced Linux and wanted to install my (2006) Dell 3010cn printer onto Debian-based Linuxes. The install CD had an RPM package and I converted it to .deb with Alien.

Alien can convert .deb, .rpm, Slackware, and some tarballs.

It is available in the Repositories of many Linux.

In this example, I am using the Waterfox Current download from here

https://www.waterfox.net/download/

and I have saved it to Downloads, that is ~/Downloads

So Step 1 here would be to install Alien

sudo apt-get -y install alien

Step 2 for me would be to take a Timeshift, on-demand, full snapshot, including Home folder or partition. This so I can roll back if need be.

3. Convert the file

cd Downloads

sudo alien --to-deb waterfox-current-2020.09.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2

This only takes a few moments, on completion we have a file

waterfox-current_2020.09.-2_all.deb

… which we can then install using either CLI or GUI methods.

For CLI I would use

sudo dpkg -i waterfox-current_2020.09.-2_all.deb

and for GUI I would -

Open my File Manager and locate the .deb package

Right-click it and launch GDebi (installed by default on Mint) to install it.

Note that GDebi will let you know that the package was converted by Alien.

On completion of either of these methods, Waterfox Current should now be installed but it has no launcher, and no apparent uninstall feature (hence Timeshift is handy) but I will cover these momentarily.

Step 5 – is optional. For my peace of mind, I like to know what has installed and where. For this, I will use the

locate

command, and that relies on

mlocate

being installed (which it is by default on Mint). If it is not there, then

sudo apt-get -y install mlocate

will do the trick.

The mlocate database is updated daily by a cron task, but if it is the first time that you have used locate, or you have just installed a package and want to find where its components are (such as here) you need to manually update the database.

sudo updatedb

Then

locate waterfox

The following screenshot shows some of the output I receive

waterfox-aliendeb-ls.png

From this we can see that the lion’s share of files are stored in a newly-created folder named

/waterfox

which you can find follows alphabetically after your /usr and /var folders. That is this method’s default, but you can likely change it

Other methods I will cover involve different options.

Step 6 – I will now launch Waterfox to see if it is what I am looking for as a Browser solution.

For now, that can be done from Terminal simply by issuing the command

/waterfox/waterfox

First, a popup window will appear inviting you to import bookmarks &c from your Firefox or other, if that applies. On choosing, the Browser will then open and you can explore your options.

Terminal will remain open while you are using it, and miscellaneous non-fatal warnings and output will be generated until you close the session.

When you close the session, you should be returned to the Terminal prompt, if not, press Ctrl-C

Step 7 – if you like what you have seen in Waterfox, then you will want it on your Menu, and you may want an Icon in your Panel on the desktop.

For Brian’s purposes I will describe the method on Cinnamon, and I will briefly mention MATE.

On Cinnamon -

- bottom left of screen, right-click the LM icon for Start (show apps menu), choose Configure.

- then (defaults to Panel tab) choose Menu tab and from there, “Open the menu editor”

- on the left click Internet, and then on the right click New Item, a popup box appears. It features options for an icon, name, command and comment.

I choose the following for the text fields

Name - Waterfox or Waterfox Current (the latter handy if you multiboot and use different Waterfoxes)

Command - /waterfox/waterfox

Comment – Web Browser

For icon, click the icon at left (possibly a rocket ship) and navigate via Browse into your new Waterfox folder. There, don’t choose the icons folder, choose

/browser/chrome/icons/default

and from there double-click or open

default64.png

Follow the prompts, and Waterfox will then be on your Menu under Internet, and you can right-click and add to Panel.

For MATE, the add launcher process is similar and can be reached through right-clicking your Menu icon and choosing Edit Menu/s

Back with more when I can.

Cheers

Wizard

Great post Chris I got the Deb file on Mint live tried to upload as zip but file too large.i installed .Deb on Mint live but didn't get as far as you. I have it installed on slackware it seems fast and beginning to really like it, might make it default over icecat

Feedback appreciated Andy :), I hope I can do justice to the other methods as well.

I have a mix of Waterfox Classic and Waterfox Current, also have one of the KDE Plasma variety.

I think the author, who is still quite young, has done a sterling job.

More tomorrow, I expect.

Chris

Staff online