"WC" Service and high CPU utilization

jlpeifer

Credits
I tried Googling for an answer about the topic of this post, but almost all threads led me to topics on "WooCommerce" for Wordpress. This matter involves a process/command called "wc" that occasionally spikes my CPU utilization dramatically. Can only shed light on this service and why it might spike like this?

Attachments

f33dm3bits

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Credits
wc is a command, try man wc.
NAME: wc - print newline, word, and byte counts for each file
DESCRIPTION: Print newline, word, and byte counts for each FILE, and a total line if more than one FILE is specified. A word is a non-zero-length sequence of characters delimited by white space.
So I would think either someone or a script is using this command, is it at a specific time that you see this?

jlpeifer

Credits
There doesn't seem to be any pattern or timing. As I sit and watch "top" I see it pop up to the top occasionally. I'm surprised by the CPU utilization when it does appear.

f33dm3bits

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Credits
I see some php processes, maybe the wc command is called in some php script so that when a certain page/function gets accessed it launches the wc command and causes a highload but that's just a guess. Try search through the php scripts for the command wc.

$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts