Web server, file server & media server on same box?

• Thread starter Andrew A. Robinson
  • Start date
A

Andrew A. Robinson

I'm still a newbie, but have plans for an ambitious task. I want to set up:
  • A web server hosting my own website(s)
  • A file server hosting my files, which my wife and I can access from anywhere
  • A media server
I'm wondering if this can all be done on the same box. If so, should I have separate drives, or separate partitions on the same drive, or just everything together with strict security between?
Finally, i'm looking at using Ubuntu Server or Fedora Server, since I'm familiar with those distros. Comments or suggestions?

Hello Andrew,

I would suggest you the following these recommendations.

As you are beginning don't make things too complicated.

Start with one box [ as you can do all on one box ]

Start all in one partition [ unless you know what you are doing put /home and / on two different partitions ]

I use Debian Base [ Ubuntu as Desktop ! this is my choice ] and RPM base on Servers [ again my choice.]

You can use what you prefered.

My questions :

How much cpu/ ram/ disk space you have ?

Let me know if you need more help.

peace and love

For home use, a modern multi core 64 bit PC could easily handle all these, providing the web sites don't have too much traffic. Most home ISP accounts, such as FIOS or Spectrum (Formerly Time Warner) frown upon, or disallow home based publicly accessible web/mail/file servers. They might require you have a business account.

I would recommend Debian Stable (Jessie) that I use for all my systems. I would also recommend two mirrored drives, one to two TB, split into into at least three partitions:
1) / (Root)
2) Swap
3) Home

Always make "Home" a separate partition. The sizes of these would depend on your needs, and where you will store the websites, and files.

Good luck!

Members online

Latest posts