Webcams that work with Ubuntu 10.04

B

Bremaine

I'm on the lookout for a decent webcam for Ubuntu 10.04. Thing is, I hear a lot of them wont work on a linux computer. I know you can compile some stuff to get some of them working, but I want to know the ones that work out of the box. I hear Logitech is good, as well as creative webcams, but are those the only ones?

should check the software package that deals with webcams. the site source should mention what brand it supports. i'm looking for some asterisk HW support myself.

As far as I know, Ubuntu has this "Plug and Play" set up like Windows. In case, you are worrying though if the cam you will be buying is not compatible, I suggest for you to check the box or the manual of the webcam you are going to buy. Most of the webcams have a list of OS they can support.

I haven't had any issue with any of my hardware on Ubuntu. It seems to do pretty well at finding drivers. I had some cheap Chinese webcam, I plugged it in, and it worked.

There are very few webcams that work with Ubuntu. I would suggest you to switch over to Windows if you do have extensive use of webcams.

Usually most of the laptop's webcam's do work with Ubuntu, atleast mine does and mines HP Pavillion DV5 1235EE and i've used it on my skype.

But ofcourse if you're buying a webcam which is independent or for a Desktop, i would suggest you to go with Logitech webcams as most of them work with Linux as i've tried. And if your webcam is different make sure it has a compatibility solution or driver along with it. Best to read it's packaging before buying.

I don't really think you will have problems with webcams not unless your webcam is an old one. Ask the hardware attendant before you make a purchase.

I think if you stick with Ubuntu 10.04 or any distro based on Ubuntu 10.04 you should be fine. I found out the hard way that older equipment is not supported by the latest distros.

I haven't had any issue with any of my hardware on Ubuntu. It seems to do pretty well at finding drivers. I had some cheap Chinese webcam, I plugged it in, and it worked.

Same here, I picked up a cheap Chinese Cam and it worked fine, cost $10 without a brand.

However I have now moved onto a Logitec C310 HD Webcam and it is fantastic on MINT, and seems fine on the other machine with Unbuntu. I had no problems.

Thanks for the responses everyone; I was also interested in the compatibility of various webcams.

Ubuntu aims to provide 'out-of-the-box' or 'just-works' functionality for webcams. This means that you should be able to plug-in your webcam and use it straight away: no driver disks or installation. To test whether or not your webcam works in this way, install Cheese, a GNOME program for capturing video and stills from a webcam. It can also apply some special effects. Cheese is included in the Main repositories since Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (Hardy Heron). It uses the gstreamer library, which utlilizes the video4linux2 API.

Members online

Latest posts