Weird booting issue with Linux Mint

naterade

Reaction score
Credits
I'm new to Linux, but I've been taking an IT course and realized what I've been missing. You'll have to forgive my ignorance. I installed Linux Mint xfce on an old HP notebook using a flashed USB and ran into issues. At first, the OS wasn't booting at all after installation. After enabling legacy mode and changing the boot order, I get a message telling me my device needs to be repaired. When I go to the boot settings, my Mint installation is still there on my hard drive, but I have to manually select the file to boot from there. Once booted, the OS functions flawlessly and my data is there, but how do I get the machine to boot Mint when I power it on?

G'day naterade, Welcome to Linux.org

When you changed the boot order....were you changing it to boot from the usb?

If yes, have you changed it so that it boots from the hard drive which your installed Linux Mint is on ?

Did you do a clean new install or did you install along side windows?

Bwiz

I dont know [never tried] if this will work in Mint.. open terminal and enter.. sudo apt install boot-repair ....and your password when asked

if it works then in a terminal put.. boot-repair ..and enter and follow the instructions or use the auto repair option

G'day naterade, Welcome to Linux.org

When you changed the boot order....were you changing it to boot from the usb?

If yes, have you changed it so that it boots from the hard drive which your installed Linux Mint is on ?
Hello, condobloke. Yes, my hard drive is the first in the boot order.

Did you install Mint first then change the bios to Legacy? If you did you will have to reinstall Mint - if you change the bios after install from uefi to legacy the OS will not boot

Did you install Mint first then change the bios to Legacy? If you did you will have to reinstall Mint - if you change the bios after install from uefi to legacy the OS will not boot
Hello, Lord Boltar. Yes, I will have to try that.

I dont know [never tried] if this will work in Mint.. open terminal and enter.. sudo apt install boot-repair ....and your password when asked

if it works then in a terminal put.. boot-repair ..and enter and follow the instructions or use the auto repair option
Hello again, Brickwizard. I will try this method first.

Hello, Lord Boltar. Yes, I will have to try that.
If you are planning a dual boot in legacy then install windows first then Linux behind it the grub will handle the startup - Linux can handle windows but windows cannot handle Linux - if you change the bios back to uefi then it is the same process install windows first then Linux - also in uefi make sure secure boot is turned off - when you change it to Legacy did windows still boot? If you're currently multi-booting with other OS(es), switching from EFI-mode to BIOS-mode booting requires converting all your OSes not just Linux

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are planning a dual boot in legacy then install windows first then Linux behind it the grub will handle the startup - Linux can handle windows but windows cannot handle Linux - if you change the bios back to uefi then it is the same process install windows first then Linux - also in uefi make sure secure boot is turned off - when you change it to Legacy did windows still boot? If you're currently multi-booting with other OS(es), switching from EFI-mode to BIOS-mode booting requires converting all your OSes not just Linux

Hello, condobloke. Yes, my hard drive is the first in the boot order.
Actually, I was wrong. I misread the text, my hard drive isn't actually on the boot menu.

Last edited:
Might want to try the automated process in boot-repair. See this link:

Thank you for the suggestion. I have already tried boot-repair, but it didn't work. I am going to save the diagnostic data and post it here.

Thank you for the suggestion. I have already tried boot-repair, but it didn't work. I am going to save the diagnostic data and post it here.
That's the next best step.

If it's a lot of text, a pastebin can make it easier. I forget how much text it involves.

I did not think Boot-Repair would work since you changed from EFI to Legacy after install the boot grub is simply not visible to Legacy you will have to reinstall - see my post #10

Staff online

Members online