Welcome to the Salty Spitoon, How Tough Are Ya? (Linux Edition)

SpongebobFan1994

Credits
For anyone who doesn't get the concept of this game or the joke behind it, watch the season 3 episode of Spongebob called "No Weenies Allowed"

The only rule is you have to describe a complicated Linux situation you encountered (bug fixing, troubleshooting, etc). If you want to include a Salty Spitoon meme, feel free to do so. Also, it's recommended you say "How tough am I???" before giving an answer.

To give an example: How tough am I??? I had to resort to Mint 19.3 just to get Jami (a FOSS replacement for Skype) to finally work right!

JasKinasis

Credits
How tough am I??
I live almost entirely in the terminal.
I edit, compile, run and test my scripts/programs in the terminal using vim and tmux. GUI text editors and IDE's are for bubble blowing babies!

I once completed my own "Linux from scratch" install and even went "beyond linux from scratch".

Also, I use dwm - a tiling window manager controlled almost entirely by the keyboard! No sissy / WIMPy desktop environment for me!
Ha ha ha! :p :D

SpongebobFan1994

Credits
How tough am I??
I live almost entirely in the terminal.
I edit, compile, run and test my scripts/programs in the terminal using vim and tmux. GUI text editors and IDE's are for bubble blowing babies!

I once completed my own "Linux from scratch" install and even went "beyond linux from scratch".

Also, I use dwm - a tiling window manager controlled almost entirely by the keyboard! No sissy / WIMPy desktop environment for me!
Ha ha ha! :p :D
Salty Spitoon.jpg

Right this way, sorry to keep you waiting

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Credits
Pfft... I was using a real green-screen terminal before either of you was born...

Maybe... LOL This site is one of the rare places where there are quite a few people older than I am.

I use a GUI quite a bit, but I when I do reboot I open a terminal before I open a browser.

Also, today I needed to extract some text from a document - so I used:

Code:
awk '{ print $2 }' countries.txt > finished.txt
...without even really thinking about how great it is to be fairly adept in the terminal.

I really do love a nice basic GUI.

Yeah, I'm not all that tough... I talk a good game, however!

SpongebobFan1994

Credits
Pfft... I was using a real green-screen terminal before either of you was born...

Maybe... LOL This site is one of the rare places where there are quite a few people older than I am.

I use a GUI quite a bit, but I when I do reboot I open a terminal before I open a browser.

Also, today I needed to extract some text from a document - so I used:

Code:
awk '{ print $2 }' countries.txt > finished.txt
...without even really thinking about how great it is to be fairly adept in the terminal.

I really do love a nice basic GUI.

Yeah, I'm not all that tough... I talk a good game, however!
Fair enough

$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Members online

No members online now.