What are some good paid distros?

Mr_TommyGun

Reaction score
Credits
Hello!

This is my first post on this forum. I just wanted to know if anybody knows of any paid disros that are worth buying? There was one that I found a while back that seemed good but I don't remember the name of it. I know it might seem silly wanting to pay for a distro since most of them are free, but it must be a good distro if you have to pay for it, right?

Thanks in advance

Tommy.

Generally, all the distro's are free. However if you want support or access to custom packages.
Then some distro's will charge you for that. Redhat is biggest/most popular paid support distro.

RHEL & SEL come to mind. You're really paying for support.

But, your thinking is not necessarily correct. Paying for it doesn't mean it's better, it just means someone charged you money.

This may interest you:

Paid does not mean it's better. You can buy support for Redhat and SuSE and there are some others that will charge for specific upgrades. But unless your doing this for business it's not worth what you'll pay.
Best to try sever free distros and select the on that 1. works on your Hardware 2. Does what you need and 3. is please to you.
Good luck.

I guess I was reflecting on the peace of mind the user is able to enjoy with a paid distro such as RedHat where the company provides the assistance which presumably is the most authoritative assistance available online or by phone for any issues that arise. There is certainly a comfort in knowing that such a company has one's back. If one is using relatively sophisticated and boutique software, it may be more attractive still. I guess on the other hand, the more one becomes proficient, the less attractive the paid option becomes.

RHEL & SEL come to mind.

Just a heads up.

The Suse one is better known as SLES - Suse Linux Enterprise System.

Cheers, and welcome to linux.org "House" @Mr_TommyGun :)

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

but it must be a good distro if you have to pay for it, right?
The only benefit of handing over your hard-earned cash for a commercial distribution, is to buy 24 hrs support, apart from that IMO there is little to gain.

Welcome to the Forum,
Linux Distros are free with the exception of one or two. Free doesn't mean their not good or don't have good support...many Distros have online Forums just like this one where you get all the help you need.
happy0035.gif

Plenty of people out there are only too happy to take your money...ms is one.
mad0016.gif
Here's a good place to start...https://distrowatch.com/ Plenty to choose from that cost you nothing...enjoy.
happy0034.gif

Windows 10 and 11.

Hey,

Almost every Linux Distro is free.
There are Linux Distros that cost money, for example RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux). But RHEL is only for very important Server that need the best stability.
But if you just want to support the Distros, then you can go to their officials Website and Donate there.

Simply mephis was one distro that you had to pay for ; not sure if i got the name correct . One of the team took if my memory serves me well the basics of simply mephis and made anti x .

Staff online

Members online