What can and can't Linux Respin Do?

Reaction score
Credits
Hello Linux enthusiasts! Recently I stumbled upon a tool that would let you back up an existing Linux Installation from either Debian or Ubuntu. It is also a fork of remastersys, which has now been deprecated. I thought to myself that I'd love to casually create my own distribution for fun. However, this project has very little documentation, and the little information it provides tells me how to install, uninstall, and how to use it to back up an ISO (barely). Will Respin backup information entered in the installer? As a Debian user, I had to enter information such as username and password. Since such information can be changed with utilities such as passwd, I would not mind if the ISO was installer free. If the tool did backup the installer, how would you edit it to fit your needs? Another concern I have with Respin would be drivers. If my memory is correct, Debian has you install some crucial drivers in the installer. If Respin didn't backup the installer, then how would said drivers be present on the device? If you could help answer these questions, it would be much appreciated. Thank you!

EDIT: [THIS PART OF THE QUESTION IS SOLVED] How would you stop recieving updates from Debian and push your own for the installation? Thanks again!

Linux Respin: https://linuxrespin.org/

Last edited:

Bumping is frowned upon here. It's considered rude at this forum.

Please refrain from doing so, thanks.

Bumping is frowned upon here. It's considered rude at this forum.

Please refrain from doing so, thanks.

Oh! Sorry! I wasn’t aware and will correct my actions immediately. My apologies to whoever received a notification and I will not do this again in the future.

It's okay. We're not ogres and you can't be expected to know unless you'd seen previous people bumping and a mod mentioning it. No harm, no foul. It's all good. We're not going to warn or ban over a simple faux pas. Different sites have different conventions and all that.

Run your own apt package server.

OK! That would work, but someone already suggested something else that wouldn’t involve server hosting.Nonetheless, all help DOES help, so thanks! Could you help with the other part of the question?

Thanks for the help on the updates! I’ve already checked the Respin program files (https://sourceforge.net/projects/respin/files/), nothing on my question, sadly.
Hi. Sorry it took a couple years. We sort of abandoned when Serge went to Nasa and I went to Intel. I am interested in your question. There was some documentation. I was seriously inspired to resurrect the project based on this question.
We also had an issue in that we used init and at that time, Debian was solely systemd.
I have to check on their vote, etc... and if feasible will revive respin.

-marcia wilbur

I have to check on their vote, etc... and if feasible will revive respin.

From the little I know, that'd be cool.

Staff online

Members online