What can I achieve with Linux? (that might not quite be the right question to ask)

AntonyVW

Reaction score
Credits
Hi folk.
I have tried Linux a few times in the past, last time about 5 years ago. Lack of time to commit to really get to know it, along with its more complex learning curve at the time, prevented me from really giving it sufficient effort. I am hoping to put more effort in now, but before commiting I want to know what my problems are likely to be before ditching Windows altogether.
So the following is my current computer usage and where Im looking for guidence on: a) can I achieve what I want? b) If I can, where do I start looking which distro(s) will best get me started in the right direction? c) how much easier is Linux now than when I last tried it about 5 years ago?
Now before I start I should say that I have read both of the documents for newbees at the beginning. The first document kind of fitted with what I expected, but the 2nd document gave me some pause to think as it referes back to Windows XP so I dont know how much or what has changed since then?

So here goes
I have a couple of pcs, one of which is a games server, and an old file server.
The file server is an old Thacus machine with its own OS. I will be wanting to link this into my network, as it currently is, but at this point I have no idea how to do that.
I run a game server for my grand kids, Minecraft and Space Engineers (using the Torch server). I believe that this part should be straight forward and easily achievable to transfer that pc from windows to Linux, so I dont expect any big headaches with it, apart from sorting out Torch to run space Engineers.
Now for my main pc.
Yes I play games and my current understanding is that now that Steam is available on Linux, that more and more games are available through using Proton?
I also use a touch screen (XP-Pen) for artwork. Im aware of Gimp as Ive used the Windows version before now, but I would be looking for other drawing packages and animation software if possible as my eldest granddaughter is very much into her animation. What is available and how would it compare with say Sketchbook or Krita? (I could never afford the likes of Photoshop etc.). Also are touchscreens like the XP-Pen supported?
3d Printing. I have a 3d printer, but have no idea what is available to use with Linux to prepare files for the printer. Im guessing that probably the programs I currenetly use under Windows will likely have their own Linux versions?
Now for the one that I believe will cause me the most problems. VR. I use an Oculus Rift S, and judging by the few articles that I have found, Its not well thought of in the Linux community. That might just be the view of the articles Ive managed to find and read and may not actually reflect the reality? Im aware that the Vive is supported through steam, but what is the reality of Oculus support? Is it supported or not? If it is, how easy is it to link into Linux?

thanks to everyone that takes the time to advise and help me out.
regards
Antony

Eventually but probably not now i'm going to have to buy my daughter something along the lines of a wacom . You can check out this link : drawing pads

INstalling Linux has got easier and whereas it used to be floppy disks , or cd's its now no problem via bottong from a usb stick that has a Linux install .iso burned to it. These days i go for DVD version of iso but these still boot from usbs.

The main difference between Windows and Linux to me is this: when you want some software and have a Windows OS reach for your wallet eg graphics - anyone remember jasper Paint Shop pro , cause they could not afford Adobe

There is a mass of software out there all free as in Licence and in Beer.

There is a sight can't remember it which gives alternative to Windows software. The basics of Animationn eg animated gif's you can do with GIMP

Other's here will pass fillin the gaps

For whatever its worth I haven't been able to get space engineers to run on Linux using proton as it needs a Microsoft NET install thingy
Check the most recent entry of the game on Protondb.

yyds

Eventually but probably not now i'm going to have to buy my daughter something along the lines of a wacom . You can check out this link : drawing pads

There is a sight can't remember it which gives alternative to Windows software. The basics of Animationn eg animated gif's you can do with GIMP

Other's here will pass fillin the gaps
Thanks for the replies so far.
Im not sure if what I had said about the XP-Pen was clear or not. It is not a drawing tablet like the wacom, or like the cintiqu which is a tablet with a screen, its a monitor that has touchscreen capability. I use a stylus directly on the screen, but also use it as an ordinary monitor.
As for animation, Gimp is not suitable. It might be useful for gifs but unsuitable for animation work. My granduaghter is hoping to work as an animator for her career when she finishes school, so needs something more along the lines that will help her get into that role.

Thanks for the replies so far.
Im not sure if what I had said about the XP-Pen was clear or not. It is not a drawing tablet like the wacom, or like the cintiqu which is a tablet with a screen, its a monitor that has touchscreen capability. I use a stylus directly on the screen, but also use it as an ordinary monitor.
As for animation, Gimp is not suitable. It might be useful for gifs but unsuitable for animation work. My granduaghter is hoping to work as an animator for her career when she finishes school, so needs something more along the lines that will help her get into that role.
Hmm I'm afraid that you may have to stick with windows because though linux have great software alternatives for everything, people have to work on Windows for convinience. I mean, let's say you're a photographer. Then Gimp is clearly not the best option for you. You have to use a software like Lightroom which is not available for linux. Schools and institutes don't teach anything other than Windows and mac. So, your granddaughter might get confused when she works on a software on linux even if it is the best software out there. However, you can always dual boot linux with windows which works for many folks out there.

Members online