what distro

sakly

Reaction score
Credits
i have a really old computer and i wanna learn linux on it , by learning linux i mean learning to navigate through the terminal and maybe some simple hacking tools
specs:
core 2 dou
2 giga ddr2 ram
320 gb hdd
gt 9800
edit : thanks for all of your help it is much appreciated

Last edited:

You're going to want a fairly lightweight distro, and here's my thoughts on what the best distro is:

i was thinking of dual boot on my main machine but i dont think its a good idea its a laptop and the specs are
an 11th gen i7 cpu
8 giga ram
with integrated graphics card

but i am scared that it affects windows in a way or another
i want to change to linux but what is stopping me is that not all the programs are made for linux

Your Intel Core 2 Duo is 64 Bit but you only have 2GBs of ram if you can upgrade the ram to 4gbs then you could run a 64Bit OS - but if not then I would suggest a 32 Bit OS such as MX Linux available here - https://mxlinux.org/download-links/ and go with the Xfce desktop usually a light weight desktop that does not use as many resources as KDE Plasma or Cinnamon desktops

it will run [albeit a bit slow] most distributions [provided it has a 64 bit motherboard] a medium weight or lightweight distribution would be best , unless you boost the ram up to 4gb [probably the maximum the board can cope with]

i want to change to linux but what is stopping me is that not all the programs are made for linux

There are Linux substitutes for many applications and many applications that Linux users just don't need.

but what is stopping me is that not all the programs are made for linux

Just noticing between your post #1 and your post #3 you have different specs - I am guessing 2 different machines? Makes a difference as to what Linux OS to install

You could just install it in a virtual machine like Oracle VM VirtualBox. You need at least 512 MB of RAM or more and 2 cores depending what distro u plan to test. it will not touch windows at all

Members online