What do I need to know?

EliKrieger

Reaction score
Credits
Hey!

I'm thinking about swapping my OS to Linux Mint soon, as I want more privacy and security (which is my main concern), and before I decided to do so I felt it would be beneficial to ask what I should look out for. So I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on the following:

- What is the best source to get Linux from?

- Are there any specific things I should look out for while installing Linux?

- Is there any software that is heavily suggested for everyday use?

- Do I need to be especially experienced in one area of code or something similar to use Linux Mint well?

Thanks for taking the time to read my question, I appreviate any help I can get and would love to understand what I should be doing and looking out for after, or during, the switch.

create a bootable USB.
@EliKrieger G'day and welcome to the community.
I agree with @arochester in what he says.

Personally I prefer to create a bootable USB stick, as the bootable copy of the ISO contains a boot repair function and the Icon is located in the administration tab.
Since I at the moment run both Vindows and Mint on the same machine, but different HD's and it is capable of doing a Vindows boot repair as well as for Linux. Don't have much trouble with the Linux boot but I do with the Vindows boot.
So it is easier to just whack in the USB stick and boot it up and access the boot repair and repair the boot section of either. The bootable CD is slightly slower in loading than the USB stick and slightly more fiddly inserting in the optical drive.

@EliKrieger G'day and welcome to the community.
I agree with @arochester in what he says.

Personally I prefer to create a bootable USB stick, as the bootable copy of the ISO contains a boot repair function and the Icon is located in the administration tab.
Since I at the moment run both Vindows and Mint on the same machine, but different HD's and it is capable of doing a Vindows boot repair as well as for Linux. Don't have much trouble with the Linux boot but I do with the Vindows boot.
So it is easier to just whack in the USB stick and boot it up and access the boot repair and repair the boot section of either. The bootable CD is slightly slower in loading than the USB stick and slightly more fiddly inserting in the optical drive.

Woah alot of information for me to process there... Thanks for the input! I think I'll look into how to run both windows and linux on the same PC- do you know of any sources on where I can get an in depth run through on how to do so?

@EliKrieger
@arochester beat my to it.
But I will give you warning always install Vindows before you install any Linux distros.
Linux installs the Grub boot loader and that confounds you in your attempt to install Vindows and this I experienced the other day when I tried to install WIn7 on another HD.
HD that Vindows now sits on is playing up and it decided that it wasn't going to play the game the other day. So I did some rearranging of cables and connected up another HD and no matter what I did the boot loader wouldn't recognise the Win7 bootable USB only the Mint USB.

@EliKrieger
@arochester beat my to it.
But I will give you warning always install Vindows before you install any Linux distros.
Linux installs the Grub boot loader and that confounds you in your attempt to install Vindows and this I experienced the other day when I tried to install WIn7 on another HD.
HD that Vindows now sits on is playing up and it decided that it wasn't going to play the game the other day. So I did some rearranging of cables and connected up another HD and no matter what I did the boot loader wouldn't recognise the Win7 bootable USB only the Mint USB.
Thanks man, will take this into account

Thanks man, will take this into account
As you may have noticed that I use two HD's One with Win 7 and one with Linux Mint 19.2 on.
In my EUFI /bios is set to boot into Mint by default but to boot into Vindows I have to press the F11 key when the ASRock option page shows and go to the boot section of the control panel and select the Win 7 disk to launch Vindows.
It can be a pain in the rear end as you can only use one OS at a time. But hey since it means that I am getting closer to the day when I can remove all traces of that once good OS that turned to into a pile of useless rubbish code for good.

Members online