What is the best way to install Google Chrome on Linux Mint 20?

Hello Iron-Duke,
Welcome to the forum.

I've always downloaded it from google's page and installed it with gdebi on mint. It will put a repository entry in so it will auto update from then on. But it depends on the Distro. If it's in the distro's repository simply install it from there. Good Luck. P.S. I don't use google chrome these days find Vivaldi more to my liking.

Hello Iron-Duke,
Welcome to the forum.

I've always downloaded it from google's page and installed it with gdebi on mint. It will put a repository entry in so it will auto update from then on. But it depends on the Distro. If it's in the distro's repository simply install it from there. Good Luck. P.S. I don't use google chrome these days find Vivaldi more to my liking.
Thanks !

Wait? Google Chrome shouldn't be in the default repositories. Google's license doesn't allow for that.

After that, the next two steps are the same thing. One is downloading it in the terminal, the other is downloading it with a browser.

As you're using Mint, the following may/should work:

Code:
wget https://dl.google.com/linux/direct/google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb && sudo apt install ./google-*.deb

(You'll be prompted for your password after the download has completed

Or....you can use the settings to exclude google....and install CHROMIUM

And it is in the repository of Linux Mint

This begs the question....which Linux are you running ?

which Linux are you running ?

That's a pretty good question. It's in Mint and mentions a .deb, so I assumed they were using Mint - but you never know. Some folks say the strangest of things and put things in random sub-forums.

omg....it is in his topic title !....Linux Mint 20

Yes, Chromium is definitely in the Software Manager, if you wish to give that a try.

Basically it runs fast, without google interference .

The settings give you the ability to hold google at arms length if that is what you wish.

Or....you can use the settings to exclude google....and install CHROMIUM

And it is in the repository of Linux Mint

This begs the question....which Linux are you running ?
Like the idea of using Chromium, however, I also use a Chromebook, which has Google Chrome. So if I switched browsers I'd lose the ability to sync.

pic of sync settings in Chromium.....(where it says Chrome, read chromium....the same applies to both)
chromium.png

btw.....Welcome to Linux.org !

pic of sync settings in Chromium.....(where it says Chrome, read chromium....the same applies to both)

That might be old. Google disabled sync in Chromium a while back.

It is possible to still make it sync, but I don't understand the mechanism.

That is current.

I am running Chromium Version 96.0.4664.45 (Official Build) for Linux Mint (64-bit)

Wait? Google Chrome shouldn't be in the default repositories. Google's license doesn't allow for that.

After that,
At least one Distro I know offers chrome in their repository PCLinuxOS does & MX does also via their package installer.
In any event if op is running Mint Chromium or you can download from google and install fine.

Last edited:
That is an interesting read.

I would have believed that it was an option going by the blurb in settings.

Not a problem in my case, because I do not use Sync

So the upshot is that it's currently not possible to sync Chromium on Linux with Google Chrome

According to the article linked by @KGIII, it is not possible.

I still believe it is. Otherwise Google would not publish the info I posted a pic of in post#9

Sorry, I know that is confusing !....join the club !......Is it worth your while installing chromium to find out ?

To install Google Chrome on Debian/Ubuntu
Code:
sudo apt install wget
Code:
wget https://dl.google.com/linux/direct/google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb
once the deb package is downloaded you can install it with Gdebi or Qapt

If you use Chromium for Linux it’s important to know that your sync data will not be deleted but will only be available locally. Any data you have synced from Chromium to your Google account will remain available through My Google Activity page and Google Takeout, as well as from the Google Chrome. Not every Chromium-based browser will be affected by the API change. Vivaldi, which is based on Chromium, uses its own sync engine and therefore unaffected

Members online