What is the latest News on Linux as an OS base for mobile phones?

henrystock51

Reaction score
Credits
I read a web article the other day about alternatives to the market leaders in smartphone operating systems. ... Most of the examples listed, which included Linux kernels among them were strictly research and development and / or defunct. I am curious as to whether there are any ongoing efforts to create alternatives to the dominant smartphone environments, like Android and IOS. I am particularly interested in efforts to develop secure phones, phones that are hard to hack and that encrypt data, etc. I understand that there are certain kernels that are used because they are "lightweight" and I am also curious about efforts to build apps on top of these operating systems to create an environment that could compete with Google or Apple. So many projects got started and then were thrown aside... I am curious if there are any efforts moving forward as I write this in January of 2021.

There may be more phones out there that I'm missing.

https://postmarketos.org/ is a popular Linux mobile distro.

Where do you find service for a Linux cell phone and how much per month will it cost.

I'm guessing that you just go to your provider and ask for just a SIM card without a phone.

Where do you find service for a Linux cell phone and how much per month will it cost.

You don't. While it's rare to buy a phone without an OS on it, you'll have to buy an Android or iOS phone, jailbreak it (for iOS) or root it (for Android), and put the new OS on it. When I was still on the official Mint forum, one of the mods told me a OnePlus One phone doesn't require any rooting when putting a new OS on it. Another thing you can try doing is building a Linux terminal from a Raspberry Pi, and then turning it into a phone that way: https://invidious.048596.xyz/watch?v=wiJqUWfR90I

I know the Mod you are referring to although that Mod is not in the USA.

That is the only place I've heard of where someone actually had a working Linux phone although I don't think they were very pleased with it if I remember but I may be wrong.

PinePhone, as mentioned above by @LorenDB , have been shipping units for nearly 12 months, I have been following their progress. Initially, they were developer's phones without an OS.

Now, they are shipping with a Manjaro with KDE Plasma.

This from last month, from KDE

https://kde.org/announcements/pinephone-plasma-mobile-edition/

Cheers
Wizard

I know the Mod you are referring to although that Mod is not in the USA.

That is the only place I've heard of where someone actually had a working Linux phone although I don't think they were very pleased with it if I remember but I may be wrong.

So you remember Moem (the moderator I was referring to previously)?

I read a web article the other day about alternatives to the market leaders in smartphone operating systems. ... Most of the examples listed, which included Linux kernels among them were strictly research and development and / or defunct. I am curious as to whether there are any ongoing efforts to create alternatives to the dominant smartphone environments, like Android and IOS. I am particularly interested in efforts to develop secure phones, phones that are hard to hack and that encrypt data, etc. I understand that there are certain kernels that are used because they are "lightweight" and I am also curious about efforts to build apps on top of these operating systems to create an environment that could compete with Google or Apple. So many projects got started and then were thrown aside... I am curious if there are any efforts moving forward as I write this in January of 2021.

I've looked into /e/ and Ubuntu Touch. In case you didn't know, UT isn't a part of Canonical anymore.

So you remember Moem (the moderator I was referring to previously)?
Yes I remember Moem She's cool.

I've looked into /e/ and Ubuntu Touch. In case you didn't know, UT isn't a part of Canonical anymore.
That's the cell phone that I remember being discussed on the Linux Mint forum.

I never new it wasn't part of Canonical in fact I don't know much about Ubuntu Touch.

I do like the idea of a Linux cell phone because I'm not a big fan of Android cell phones although do have one.

Maybe one day Linux cell phones will be avilable and give Android and Apple iphone some competition which is needed and would be cool imo.

If we want to be technical, Android *is* Linux.

Barely, but it's Linux... It uses an old kernel that's heavily customized and the modified code won't ever make it into the real kernel, but it *is* Linux inside.

Barely...

If we want to be technical, Android *is* Linux.

Barely, but it's Linux... It uses an old kernel that's heavily customized and the modified code won't ever make it into the real kernel, but it *is* Linux inside.

Barely...
Yep it is but it's also all Google and I don't really like Google although do use Google from time to time.

I just think it would be neat to have an all Linux phone if it doesn't cost a big pile of money to own and use.

I don't really like Google

I actually use Chrome. Yes, I know my shame... It just works better - for me.

I have like a dozen of browsers installed. I also use Chromium. I also use Vivaldi. I divide activities by browser, but my main browser is Chrome. My 'Linux forums, support sites, and related content' is in Chromium. Vivaldi is mostly web hosting stuff. Chrome is where I spend most of my time.

But, yeah... Google is pretty evil. I've made my bargain with the devil knowingly and from an informed position.

what i like about the librem phone is that the wifi and bluetooth module can be removed, yet a phone can still be hacked and tracked even without the sim card inserted as all phones can dial emergency services without a sim card inserted. which means there is always a radio frequency somewhere.... one might argue using airplane mode and a farraday pouch hmmm our own personal tracking devices how lovely. maybe the librem shouls incorporate a seperate factor to be able to remove call services.

what i like about the librem phone is that the wifi and bluetooth module can be removed, yet a phone can still be hacked and tracked even without the sim card inserted as all phones can dial emergency services without a sim card inserted. which means there is always a radio frequency somewhere.... one might argue using airplane mode and a farraday pouch hmmm our own personal tracking devices how lovely. maybe the librem shouls incorporate a seperate factor to be able to remove call services.
if it came by default with double firewalls , all applications sandboxes (apparmor) , proxys and vpns that would be nice.
anyone own the pinephone , if so how was youre xperiance with the device

The Librem phones have physical kill switches for both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. They also have a removable battery that could eliminate other tracking. But it is often what sites you visit that cause unwanted tracking. The important app that needs a serious alternatve isgoogle maps. Being able to get driving directions should not entitle outside parties to record that information for posterity.

A disadvantage of the Librem phones is price. The Librem 5 USA costs over $1000. That is with a limited number of apps. I am not sure what common apps would work unmodified. I wasn't impressed by the camera quality either. Perhaps I am misjudging that... 5 MP seems low resolution compared to today's phones. Internal memory should be higher.

So what is the bottom line ? is there a "Lin" phone available , practically i.e. (reasonable cost, performance, usabillity, apps etc, and that will work with carriers)

Staff online