What Is The Linux Equivalent Of The Windows NT (NT, 2000, 7, etc.) Registry?

blackneos940

Reaction score
Credits
I'm curious about this one... :3 In my quest to become more Tech-literate, I'm learning about the Windows Registry. :3 Is there some equivalent on Linux? :3 Or is it different across multiple Distros? :) Does Linux even have such a functionality? :) This is just a curious question, but one I think will benefit all involved. :3 We may just learn a thing or two! :3

That is an interesting question.... and a bit of Google-fu gave some equally interesting answers (or comments) about this difference between the operating systems.

Check out the "best answer" from StackExchange here.
A bit of "history of the registry" on Quora here.
Possible changes coming to Linux? On Computerworld here.

The Computerworld article is from 2002, so I wouldn't put too much faith in that prediction for the future! :eek:o_O:D

Cheers

That is an interesting question.... and a bit of Google-fu gave some equally interesting answers (or comments) about this difference between the operating systems.

The Computerworld article is from 2002, so I wouldn't put too much faith in that prediction for the future! :eek:o_O:D

Cheers
Yeah. I probably should've used a Search Engine, but I thought I'd ask it here, for the sake of information being documented... :3 Also, I suck at Search terms... :D

Cheers
Ah yes, StackExchange: home to helpful, yet insulting people. :3 I'm not saying they're all bad, but you should have seen this one comment about Broadcom Wireless support in OpenBSD. :(

I probably should've used a Search Engine
Well, that's what we do a lot of the time too. It's just necessary... with so many different questions, with so many different computer brands, with so much different hardware, with so many different Linux distros, and so on. We can't know everything either. :p:D

Cheers

Well, that's what we do a lot of the time too. It's just necessary... with so many different questions, with so many different computer brands, with so much different hardware, with so many different Linux distros, and so on. We can't know everything either. :p:D

Cheers
Yeah, I'm guilty of that too. :D I've had the idea that by now, I shouldn't have to Google anything, because I should KNOW everything! XD

Members online