What is the most Private Linux Distro?

@SlowCoder
I'm not sure about your ISP, but my ISP provides a firewall as part of the router. So I'm already as secure as my ISP wants me to be, which is usually allow outbound connections, deny incoming connections. So, do I need another firewall on top of that? I don't think so. But every layer of security makes you stronger.
My ISP's router is the latest and has firewall builtin too.

So, it won't hurt you to have a hardware firewall, if you feel it's necessary or helpful. Or if you just want to futz around with it.
Honestly, it either adds substantial security and privacy, or i won't even bother :)
I don't have time to waste with such things.
I'll have a call with someone from a security company selling computer equipment, to have this figured out.

I'll have a call with someone from a security company selling computer equipment, to have this figured out.
I have been using linux for 20 odd years, I have been using what is now called the internet since the days when a 3kbs dial up modem was considered high speed, I have only one further comment on this topic.
NO computer system is secure, security comes from the personal habits of the person using the keyboard.

NO computer system is secure, security comes from the personal habits of the person using the keyboard.
If your threat model requires security and privacy – as I have said many times – as have many security experts, news media, whistleblowers — Edward Snowden, NSA whistleblower, Activists, Journalists and their sources, etc – use Tails+Tor on a usb drive. Never had any trouble and it leaves no trace on the host computer that you were ever there – how cool is that :cool:

If you just want to use it as getting linux live just ignore the security – you can save stuff out to another USB drive to keep it simple. It also notifies you of any available updates and prompts you to update your stick there and then.

However if you are into security and privacy or need the dark web go no further – you are ready to rock’n’roll.

You can research reams of documents on security matters but when it comes down to it who do you trust…? OMG..! I take my lead from the Guardian and Ed Snowden who says the acid test is who has been caught or exposed by using Tails+Tor – Er; Zero, Zilch :cool: Whereas thousands have come to grief by not using Tails+Tor
Guardian.png
Guardian-01.png
Guardian-02.png

Last edited:
If your threat model requires security and privacy – as I have said many times – as have many security experts, news media, whistleblowers — Edward Snowden, NSA whistleblower, Activists, Journalists and their sources, etc – use Tails+Tor on a usb drive. Never had any trouble and it leaves no trace on the host computer that you were ever there – how cool is that :cool:

If you just want to use it as getting linux live just ignore the security – you can save stuff out to another USB drive to keep it simple. It also notifies you of any available updates and prompts you to update your stick there and then.

However if you are into security and privacy or need the dark web go no further – you are ready to rock’n’roll.

You can research reams of documents on security matters but when it comes down to it who do you trust…? OMG..! I take my lead from the Guardian and Ed Snowden who says the acid test is who has been caught or exposed by using Tails+Tor – Er; Zero, Zilch :cool: Whereas thousands have come to grief by not using Tails+Tor
View attachment 14197View attachment 14198View attachment 14199

Thanks a lot!

Thanks a lot!
That is very kind of you to acknowledge the ramblings of this old fool ;)

I do worry so about the security and privacy of our members and in the wider Linux community. People who recommend supposedly goolag free chrom etc worry me but I have to weigh strength of reply accordingly against being banned for upsetting fanboys of this, that or the other.

There is also the well known adage that – You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink.

As you are interested in security could I add a little extra…?
Ed-Snowden-Tweet-01.png
Ed_Snowden-Tweet-02.png
Ed-Snowden-Tweet-03.png

Members online

Latest posts