What is the most Private Linux Distro?

aoib578

Reaction score
Credits
What is the most Private Linux Distro?

I need a fully functional Linux and as close to "ready out of the box" as possible.
It will be mainly for Web Development, but from what I've been said, almost every linux is the same as it supports more or less the same apps.

I've seen Parrot "Home Edition" mentioned a few times. Is this the most private?

All the main versions of Linux are based on RHEL,Debian,or Arch [there are a couple of other lesser used] All have about the same security as they all share much of the same programming, so I will just mention 3 Debian grandchildren.
POP OS this is a business based OS but be aware it is produced especially for System 76 equipment, it is Ubuntu based but doesn't carry the full Ubuntu driver & codec packages, so can be a right pig's rear end to install on other boxes
MX-21 [& MX-21 AHS] MX is based on Debian stable and is primarily designed as an office desktop and is considered by many to be a bit above the normal distributions when it comes to security
Parrot Home Has a nice desktop based on Ubuntu, you can run almost all the applications that Ubuntu can, It is designed as an introductory step to learn Linux and the terminal before moving on to the Parrot pen-testing main distribution, like other similar distributions it can be difficult for a newbie to set up but includes addition security tool if you wish to use them,
No matter which Linux based desktop distribution you choose, your main security is your own common sense.

All the main versions of Linux are based on RHEL,Debian,or Arch [there are a couple of other lesser used] All have about the same security as they all share much of the same programming, so I will just mention 3 Debian grandchildren.
POP OS this is a business based OS but be aware it is produced especially for System 76 equipment, it is Ubuntu based but doesn't carry the full Ubuntu driver & codec packages, so can be a right pig's rear end to install on other boxes
MX-21 [& MX-21 AHS] MX is based on Debian stable and is primarily designed as an office desktop and is considered by many to be a bit above the normal distributions when it comes to security
Parrot Home Has a nice desktop based on Ubuntu, you can run almost all the applications that Ubuntu can, It is designed as an introductory step to learn Linux and the terminal before moving on to the Parrot pen-testing main distribution, like other similar distributions it can be difficult for a newbie to set up but includes addition security tool if you wish to use them,
No matter which Linux based desktop distribution you choose, your main security is your own common sense.

Dear @Brickwizard,

Security for any (Linux or Unix) system relies on the user to harness it.
What i am specifically talking about is a Privacy focused Linux, that cuts down spying and back-doors more than any other.
I am almost decided about Parrot "Home Edition".

Is it true Parrot will provide all my app needs, just like Ubuntu would; with no difference in this regard?

You can install any tools you need on any Linux distribution, some distributions brand themselves by having certain tools installed by default.

Last edited:
This is a screenshot of my installation, showing the included privacy tools, you can google each to find out what they do
Screenshot at 2022-06-19 15-31-31.png

For privacy and security
Kodachi - Qubes OS - Septor - Tails for portability - Whonix
For penetration testing
Parrot - Kali - BackBox - BlackArch

You can turn just about any Linux OS into one of the above by simply adding the software and tweaking it, these have done it for you

Yes the pentesting version is almost identical except for the additional tools pack

For privacy and security
Kodachi - Qubes OS - Septor - Tails for portability - Whonix
For penetration testing
Parrot - Kali - BackBox - BlackArch

You can turn just about any Linux OS into one of the above by simply adding the software and tweaking it, these have done it for you
@Lord Boltar,

Of the private distros only Septor looks to be fully functional and easy to use.

Of this 4 which one would you opt for, for the long run?
- Septor
- Zorin OS
- Parrot "Home Edition"
- Manjaro

I want to avoid going through different distros. I prefer sticking with one, and install extra needed software.
I will not consider any other distro other than these 4! Not to complicate... :)

- Septor
- Zorin OS
- Parrot "Home Edition"
- Manjaro
Try all of them and find out for yourself, most things are a matter of personal preference.

Our usual answer to the question you are alluding to [which is the best distribution] is the one that you like the look and feel of, and the one that works best on your kit, spend a bit of time downloading each, and running them "live from a pen-drive" to see which one fits the bill,
what I, @Lord Boltar or anyone else uses may not suit you

Our usual answer to the question you are alluding to [which is the best distribution] is the one that you like the look and feel of, and the one that works best on your kit, spend a bit of time downloading each, and running them "live from a pen-drive" to see which one fits the bill,
what I, @Lord Boltar or anyone else uses may not suit you
@Brickwizard

I will install on vmware workstation and decide.

- Septor
- Zorin OS
- Parrot "Home Edition"
- Manjaro
Of the 4 I like Septor for Privacy - but that is just my opinion
I will install on vmware workstation and decide.
You can also use Ventoy and put all 4 distros on one USB probably a 16GB or larger will do if you have one

Of the 4 I like Septor for Privacy - but that is just my opinion

You can also use Ventoy and put all 4 distros on one USB probably a 16GB or larger will do if you have one
@Lord Boltar

Apologies if i am being ignorant. But isn't the fact Septor is only available in https://sourceforge.net/ dodgy?
Almost every linux is available in their own website.

Thanks for Ventoy. Useful tool :)

Tails is the best one for anonymity, but as far as "most private", your computer can only be as private as you make it.

@Lord Boltar

Apologies if i am being ignorant. But isn't the fact Septor is only available in https://sourceforge.net/ dodgy?
Almost every linux is available in their own website.

Thanks for Ventoy. Useful tool :)
No there are a lot of Linux distros on SourceForge - MX Linux, GeckoLinux, Septor, Expirion, Extix, Nytux, Enso, Archman Linux, BlueStar, Peppermint, Antix, Titan, Voyager and Sparky Linux are just a few A lot of distributions have both, there own website and SourceForge

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would being on Sourceforge be dodgy?

They've been around since like 1999. Has Slashdot fallen that far?

Eh ... Any Linux distro is only as private as you make it. My main distro is LMDE5. I enable the firewall, and lock down any services I happen to run. I run Firefox with DuckDuckGo, and uBlock Origin. I only install software from trusted sources, and ask myself "do I really need it?" If someone else needs to use my laptop, they are given a separate non-admin user account.

The only laptop that travels with me does not contain any important or really private files, should it be lost.

But I don't encrypt my drives, and I don't subscribe to VPNs.

I feel safe enough, but I am watchful of signs of issues.

I am running EasyOs 4.0 on my old clunker for a few days now & love it. Current release is 4.1, which boots faster, but I had problem with random freezes.
Easy has 'dementia' option - just like Tails.
Perfect to face dangerous web sites.