What is the simplest way to transfer a file between two systems?

dangarbri

Reaction score
Credits
This question baffles me, I've been using computers my whole life and I still don't know the simplest way to transfer a file.
When working with remote servers, I will use rsync or scp and it's fine, they work perfectly, but for home computers that aren't running an ssh server, what do you do?

I always end up going through these options I have and each is equally frustrating when all I want to do is copy a file:
- Upload/Download from cloud
- Send an email to myself
- Creating a network share (but I'm too lazy)
- Using a USB stick (too lazy to go find one)

What do you guys use for sending files between systems?

They're your systems. Why not install SSH and then use whatever (including SFTP) on 'em?

That's what I do.

Setup an nfs or samba share so that you can access it on multiple systems within your home network, if you need to share things between devices outside of your home network the best option would be to setup your own cloud using Nextcloud or for you Dropbox or and old fasion external usb drive may be better in both situations since you are too lazy. I use both nfs and Nextcloud so that I can sync all my files to all of my devices because I am lazy so that I have to put the least amount of effort into sharing my files across multiple devices.

Your question sounds like: I'm hungry and I don't know what to do about it. I'm too lazy too go to the store and too lazy to order something online. Can someone go to the store for me and spoon feed me so that I don't have to put any effort into it myself.

What do you expect, the modern day way of sharing files across devices are network shares and cloud. If you find that too much effort design a new way that suits your lazy needs but that would probably be too much effort on your end or you don't have the skills(I don't have the skills either) so use the tools that are available to make it easier for yourself.

Last edited:
They're your systems. Why not install SSH and then use whatever (including SFTP) on 'em?

That's what I do.
This is probably the best long term solution, I'll probably end up doing this.
But you expect some people to be bothered to answer?
yes. Because you don't have to get up off your butt to answer.
Your question sounds like: I'm hungry and I don't know what to do about it. I'm too lazy too go to the store and too lazy to order something online. Can someone go to the store for me and spoon feed me so that I don't have to put any effort into it myself.
Yes, kind of. It's more like I'm hungry and I have all this stuff in my fridge but nothing that I actually want to eat.
If you find that too much effort design a new way that suits your lazy needs
I will. This is one of those things where when I say "too lazy" what I really mean is in the moment when all I need to do is get one file from here to there, I don't want to put in all this extra effort for something that should just be built in.

Here's what I ended up going with after coming to complain.
Bash:
# receiving side
nc -l -p 12345 > received

# sending side
cat file_to_send | nc hostname_or_ip 12345

Here's what I ended up going with after coming to complain.
Bash:
# receiving side
nc -l -p 12345 > received

# sending side
cat file_to_send | nc hostname_or_ip 12345
This seems like more effort than setting up and using a network share or using something like Nextcloud(or Dropbox) since you only have to set it up once and afterwards you can you save a file to the Network share or Nextcloud location.

This question baffles me, I've been using computers my whole life and I still don't know the simplest way to transfer a file.
When working with remote servers, I will use rsync or scp and it's fine, they work perfectly, but for home computers that aren't running an ssh server, what do you do?

I always end up going through these options I have and each is equally frustrating when all I want to do is copy a file:

What do you guys use for sending files bsetween system

If your doing this a lot for a particular device I would use something like filezilla. When I am remote I have a nextcloud server set up at home. I drop the file I want to folder that I have set up to sync and off it goes. From a command line I prefer scp.

This seems like more effort than setting up and using a network share or using something like Nextcloud(or Dropbox) since you only have to set it up once and afterwards you can you save a file to the Network share or Nextcloud location.
Maybe, but to me it feels like very low overhead, no servers, clouds, background daemons, just an easy get/send and be done. It's more for one-offs. If I was sharing media or was going back and forth between different computers very often, then yea a dedicated NFS makes sense. But I really don't need it often enough to feel like it's worth setting it up.

Syncthing or Croc

scp

Warpinator

Created by the Linux Mint Team

Works on same network, lan etc

Works on all Linux distros

available for android

available for iphone soon

@dangarbri -- Good job! Thanks for the find! I've got it bookmarked.
Simple is good

@dangarbri Nice work, thanks for sharing and creating! I wish I could write C but I don't have the time, patience and need for it.

Just a question out of curiosity of your train of thought, with this program you have to run something on the receiving side and run a command on the sending side. How is this not different from running an ssh daemon and using scp to send something, it seems just similar while sshd is already installed by default on most Linux distributions.

Last edited:
This way you don't have to run an ssh daemon that's always running even though you may never use it. Or deal with credentials or ssh keys.
Granted here you do have to get and install the program so it's not changing the world, but it's a 0 setup solution. Download and run.

syncthing or warpinator
Hassle free, you don't have to configure anything

I have had the same issue ever since I started to use computers way back in the 80's or so ... I found an APP that does everything smoothly and safe ... I use "Send Anywhere" I send files to my phone my Linux box and windows PC. Try it I am now lost with out it. Just need an Internet connection. Winner Winner Chicken Dinner. Your Welcome :)

I use a Flash Drive or External HDD/SSD.
happy0044.gif

What about the Vulcan Mine Meld...

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts