What is this box and how do I get rid of it?

redaxle

Reaction score
Credits
There is this box, and I cant seem to get rid of it. I am new to linux, and I am using the linux beta feature on chrome os.

Attachments

• 20200318_132622.jpg
    20200318_132622.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 277

ok so say i am logged into my Linux (in my case slackware) and i go to the menu and try to fire up say GParted; GParted needs "root" permission but because i'm on my system as a normal user a dialoge box come up and asks for a password.When i enter a password I can then access GParted.

In summary you are trying to do something that should be done as root ; so your system is saying enter a password and we might let you do it.

So Just before that dialogue box came up what did you do ? it looks like you might be trying to download software ?

Also try typing in your "root" password into the box

Last edited:
ok so say i am logged into my Linux (in my case slackware) and i go to the menu and try to fire up say GParted; GParted needs "root" permission but because i'm on my system as a normal user a dialoge box come up and asks for a password.When i enter a password I can then access GParted.

In summary you are trying to do something that should be done as root ; so your system is saying enter a password and we might let you do it.

So Just before that dialogue box came up what did you do ? it looks like you might be trying to download software ?

Also try typing in your "root" password into the box
It appears when I start the desktop. I dont press anything after I execute the start up command.

Have you tried the Cancel button or the "x" on the top right of that dialog?

There is this box, and I cant seem to get rid of it. I am new to linux, and I am using the linux beta feature on chrome os.
I don't use Chrome OS but I am guessing it has something to do with running "Linux Beta" in a 'sandbox'. That's just how Chrome OS does things.

It would appear that the application is is trying to get network access but Chrome OS is blocking it for your protection.

Have you tried entering your password?

@redaxle

what version of debian are you running?

what is the output from terminal for

Code:
apt-cache policy gnome-session
?

... and welcome to the site :)

wizard

I don't use Chrome OS but I am guessing it has something to do with running "Linux Beta" in a 'sandbox'. That's just how Chrome OS does things.

It would appear that the application is is trying to get network access but Chrome OS is blocking it for your protection.

Have you tried entering your password?
yes, but it comes back with that error in the box.

in terminal

Code:
cat /etc/*release

wizard

Members online

Latest posts