What is THIS? Need help

stewieG

Reaction score
Credits
Ok here’s my problem : I broke my laptop so I have it hooked to my tv via hmdi. For some reason I can’t get the bottom icons (Firefox , etc ) on my host machine . So being as though I couldn’t click on Oracle VM I entered “ VBoxManage startvms “kali Linux”” on my host terminal .From there I had to redownload kali (why idk because I already have it ) now after that all I see is this kali screen which wasn’t even the screen I had when I entered kali from host desktop via vm. I just want kali back w my tools , the internet and etc... thanks
A6B67AE6-9628-4528-9FC0-2195BF4E4738.jpeg

@stewieG This is probably a resolution problem. If you can launch a terminal, type this:
Code:
xrandr
To get the actual screen resolution and available values, then change it for one you think/know will work
Code:
xrandr -s widthxheight #i.e. 1920x1080
Once you've done that, go to Kali's settings and set the resolution in the display configuration to make it permanent across reboots.

Hope this helps! :)

@stewieG This is probably a resolution problem. If you can launch a terminal, type this:
Code:
xrandr
To get the actual screen resolution and available values, then change it for one you think/know will work
Code:
xrandr -s widthxheight #i.e. 1920x1080
Once you've done that, go to Kali's settings and set the resolution in the display configuration to make it permanent across reboots.

Hope this helps! :)

“can’t open display “ output

“can’t open display “ output
In Kali's VM? Host OS? By the way, is this only happening with VBox or in the host as well? And speaking of which, what Linux distro is this host again?

In Kali's VM? Host OS? By the way, is this only happening with VBox or in the host as well? And speaking of which, what Linux distro is this host again?
I’m on Linux mint (host ) and yes that was the output in kali but the output shows on the host but I have NO idea how to fix the resolution . But I did pull up (... -q) and I seen the HDMI resolution and my screens but I don’t know who’s number I’m setting it to or how really . I will show a ss of progress because I do believe you are right about the problem . Please stick around for the ss it’ll explain a lot

Output from host

Attachments

• E47D3268-50DE-415A-83E8-5FF48231E215.jpeg
    E47D3268-50DE-415A-83E8-5FF48231E215.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 421
Output from host
I read current 3286 x 1080 that would be the resolution it's being used right now. Also, I see HDMI-0 connected 1920 x 1080 that would be your TV, am I right? Then, I think you need to set that
Code:
xrandr -s 1920x1080
Hmmm... I just realized that I didn't ask you why you got that “can’t open display “ output error, so, how and why did you get it? What did you do?

Staff online