Solved What Linux OS Should I Use For My "VERY" Laggy Computer

Solved issue

You'd want to look at lighter distros, of which there are many. I'd say try something like Lubuntu, which should run okay on your desktop. Something like Chromium would probably be lighter than Firefox, but disable hardware acceleration. If you do use Firefox, you can keep the CPU/RAM usage down by limiting the number of running processes - though you'll want to limit yourself to just a few tabs anyhow.

Sadly, the internet is taking up more and more resources when you surf. Everyone wants to use all the latest libraries, when they could just use some CSS and HTML to achieve the same thing.

This might be illuminating, though you are kinda stuck with lighter distros:

LXQt, LXDE, XFCE desktop environments are all fairly light, compared to others. That's something else to consider.

But That Cost Money And I WILL TELL YOU IT'S AN OPTIPLEX 360
Zorin OS Doesn't Work
Lubuntu Doesn't Work
Puppy Linux Doesn't Work
Other Linux Distributions For Old PCs Don't Work

If you're looking for inexpensive solutions, you could max out your RAM and get an SSD to replace your HDD. Those would make improvements at not a whole lot of cost. But, if you're leaning to buying a computer, you can get a modern refurb for not much money - especially if it's a desktop system. They're usually even cheaper without an OS installed.

Have a look.

From the specification section of the above link.

Max memory is 4.0GB.
1666488380127.png

I was going to suggest Linux Lite but if Lubuntu doesn't run and that's light...might be time for a newer computer as they don't last forever.
m1505.gif

Zorin OS Doesn't Work
Lubuntu Doesn't Work
Puppy Linux Doesn't Work
Other Linux Distributions For Old PCs Don't Wor,
try a 32 bit distribution they need less ram

Last edited:
Addendum to above, now I have time to check the work sheets, it says the Celeron 440 was released in 2006 and is 32 bit only,

MX-21 xfce 32 bit would be my suggestion or AnitX , Debian 32 bit they should work on that machine and give you pretty good service. won't ever be a speed demon though.

Zorin OS Doesn't Work
Lubuntu Doesn't Work
Puppy Linux Doesn't Work
Other Linux Distributions For Old PCs Don't Work
I would say if puppy does not work, not many will. What happens when you boot puppy?
and you said others don't work - Which others have you tried?
What do you mean doesn't work? Won't boot, won't run?

Maybe, just maybe, you are not burning the distros correctly?
How are you burning them?
How many files do you see on each distro? A little? A lot?

Have a look.
I Don't Like LXLE Desktops

On a new Laptop Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 would run just fine...Mint 21 has know bugs so I wouldn't recommend it...wait till 21.1 comes out.
m1213.gif

I have Mint Cinnamon 20.1 on my 10 year old Laptop 4GB RAM and 64bit it runs great...I'm also waiting for 21.1.
m1203.gif

I'm Just Going To Buy A New PC LOL
Well if you don't need cutting edge, then may I suggest something around 5-7 yrs old with at least 4gb ram and a twin core processor, or you may even pick up something like my 2010 dell Insperon for next to nothing [not the fastest laptop but runs several distributions without issues] and is used daily,

Members online