What the best linux for gaming?

Milosz105

Reaction score
Credits
I have a very weak computer and I would like to play it smoothly in minecraft. The game is currently hitting 30-50fps on Windows 7 with jams every now and then so i thought i would upload some lightweight system. What linux distributions do you recommend so that I can achieve more fps in minecraft.? I Select that the computer has been formatted recently and has current drivers, so poor performance is not to blame for that.
My computer specifications:
System: Windows 7 home premium 64-bit,
CPU: Intel Pentium G2030 @ 3.00GHz
Ram: 4GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. B75M-HD3
GPU: Intel hd graphics

A rolling release distribution because of having bleeding edge software, meaning you also have the latest software libraries. Have a look at EndeavourOS or Arco, those are Arch based but with graphic installers. You can also have a look at PopOS, isn't rolling but I hear and read good things about it for beginners when it comes to gaming.

Last edited:
A rolling release distribution because of having bleeding edge software, meaning you also have the latest software libraries. Have a look at EndeavourOS or Arco, those are Arch based but with graphic installers. You can also have a look at PopOS, isn't rolling but I hear and read good things about for beginners when it comes to gaming.
Thanks, I'll check this.

1605121894728.png

Moving this to Gaming section

Cheers

Wiz

A lot of gamers use Fedora. It has all the usual, Lutris, Proton, Steam, some of the native games
such as 0ad are pretty good. Linux actually outperforms Windows in some Video FPS scenarios.
Wine isn't bad for simpler games.

I run the more modern games I play somewhere between 60 and 165 fps depending on how much power the game takes.

Arch. Or Anarchy, if you're too lazy to type commands manually.
I have recently tested out different Arch based distributions(EndeavourOS, Arco, Manjaro, etc.) and Arch installers, I found that all the Arch based distributions don't fit my needs because the Calamares installer doesn't support installation on lvm. I also tried the Anarchy installer, it supports lvm and luks but I don't find it good enough because you can't setup lvm with a custom setup which defeats the point of lvm. The only Arch installer which I find worthy of actually using to install Arch is Archlabs because it allows you to install on a custom lvm setup with encryption if you want.

Last edited:
Manjaro comes with steam already installed:-;)

I know this is an ancient thread, oddly dredged up by f33dm3 this time.

I'm not so sure that is true with Manjaro, at least not currently - and perhaps not with my particular version.

I have Manjaro Cinnamon and there's no steam.

Selection_035.png

That's a sloppy screenshot, but good enough. There's no Steam in there. I didn't uninstall it or anything. It's a pretty stock Manjaro VM.

I have Manjaro Cinnamon and there's no steam.

Yep - I've just finished checking in the Manjaro part of my stable.

GNOME, KDE and Xfce are the officially maintained Manjaro and Steam is installed by default on them.

MATE and Cinnamon are two of several Community Editions - MATE has it, Cinnamon does not.

But it can be installed from the repos with

Code:
sudo pacman -S steam

Wiz