What the heck is HiDPl support?

C

CrazedNerd

Under Login Window settings, this is enabled by default. I disabled it, and it appears that it fixed my issue of linux mint (una) randomly turning the display off even though i told it to never turn off in screen saver. Google didn't tell me anything:

HiDpl.png

It's nothing to bother with, unless you have a 4k or 8k hd screen

I told you it's nothing to bother with unless you have a 4K or 8K screen, it's an extension to run them
if you search HiDPL mac os you will find some [not a lot] of information

Basically High Dots Per Inch. Pixel density.
For example a 2k and a 4k monitor might both be the same size. Say 26 inches.
A 4k monitor will have twice as many pixels as a 2k monitor in the same distance.
Usually in monitor specs, it will tell you the dpi. (Dots per inch).

I notice not all DE's support hiDPI, LxQt for example doesn't.

You can always make you resolution lower, which will make things like your fonts and icons larger (and sometiime fuzzier
to look at). But you can never make your resolution higher than your monitor supports.
The two common methods of doing this are fractional scaling and 2x scaling.
2x usually "looks" better because it uses the pixel next door. Fractional is a mathematical method
that "pretends" to borrow the pixel next via shading a corner of it.

Not all DE's support 2x scaling. One problem if you are using Xorg instead of Wayland, is that if you have multiple
monitors and you change the scaling in one monitor, it will affect the scaling in the other monitor.
This doesn't happen with Wayland.

Last edited:
HiDPI support refers to the issue of displaying raster graphics (fonts, cursors, images) and UI elements (buttons, menus, handles) on high-resolution displays. It's also a term introduced by Apple.
The issue is that the physical size of a display remains the same (from 21 to 32 inches) while its resolution increases (FullHD, 4K, 8K).
To solve the issue, Apple introduced "HiDPI", that is scaling all the UI elements according to the font size. Font sizes are specified in points, while their pixel value is calculated using DPI and device pixel ratio which is a scale factor specified by a user in OS settings. At the same time, raster images are rendered at their true pixel size, so individual pixels are less noticeable. It means that raster images are provided at higher resolution to make up for their size on a screen. Vector graphics (UI elements) are rendered accordingly, at higher resolution

Like @Brickwizard has stated if you are not running a 4K or 8K monitor - no worries

Members online