What type of Distro is good for this laptop?

M

MiketheASIAN!

Hi everyone! I'm just wondering if what's the best distro for this laptop?

Specs:

Processor: AMD A6-3420M APU with Radeon(tm) HD graphics 1.50GHz

RAM: 4GB

Type: 64-bit, x64based processor

Any distro you want. Try some!
What's a good one for an occasional gamer like me? I want a distro that supports programming and gaming. thanks, sorry I don't know what to pick =/

The best distro is the one that YOU like! You won't know that until you try some out. You may find that some work better with your hardware than others, so that will influence your choices. All distros allow you to install programming development tools, games, and many other applications. Some Windows games may run under Wine, but some won't. Steam offers many games for Linux. Games are available, but maybe not some specific game that you want. I'm not a gamer, so I can't give you any help there.

There are dozens of different Linux distros. Check out the popular ones. You'll get better help and support from those. Browse around at DistroWatch (http://distrowatch.com) for some ideas. If you want to see what some of them look like before installing one, take a look at Linux Screenshots (http://www.linuxscreenshots.org).

If you have a DVD drive, then learn how to burn an .iso file to make a Live Linux disk. You can boot them up and try them out without installing to your hard drive (although they run much faster when installed). If you don't have a DVD, then learn how to put the .iso file on a USB stick and you can boot on that. It's kind of like a car... take some for a test drive before you buy one... but we don't know which will be the best car for you!

Cheers!

As @atanere said, get experienced and pick favorites. Best advice when it comes to Linux distros.

However, off the top of my head... I'd say go for Lubuntu as it features Openbox and LXDE, both pretty lightweight.

Openbox has been the best window manager for my AMD hardware so far (performance-wise).

Openbox systems always feel (and are actually) snappier when I switch from desktop environments such as unity, cinnamon or even xfce; not that you can't run them on top of Openbox, but they're "naturally" best integrated to the window managers they come with.

You'd save a lot of resources and play some games noticiably more smoothly.

Besides, like any *buntu, Steam OS is Debian-based too, so you get full compatibility if you play Steam games on Lubuntu (all the necessary packages might install mostly automagically from Ubuntu's repos).

Lubuntu+proprietary video drivers should float your goat.

Also, I'd suggest installing xfce4-appfinder, it will help you navigate through your applications (lubuntu only features a xp/w95-like "start menu").

Last edited:
I would suggest Lubuntu. It's one of the most lightweight Ubuntu based distrubutions and it was recognized as a member of the Ubuntu family since 2011. It's also user friendly as any Ubuntu based distro. As for gaming, you can still run any games that you would usually run on any other distro, and you also have the added benefit of more resources available for gaming as Lubuntu uses the lightweight LXDE desktop enviornment.

Bro.....I think linux display managers does not provide drivers to play high end games.
Better use dual boot if u want to play games like windows or redhat/ubuntu/lubuntu.....etc
For me I think RHEL is the best as it provides all necessary s/w in its package .

Bro.....I think linux display managers does not provide drivers to play high end games.
Better use dual boot if u want to play games like windows or redhat/ubuntu/lubuntu.....etc
For me I think RHEL is the best as it provides all necessary s/w in its package .
A display manager has nothing to do with drivers. Both Nvidia and AMD provide graphics drivers for Linux which support X.org. Whether or not they support Wayland or MIR is completely different but X.org support is all thats needed. Please do not spread these kinds of rumors.

Thanks for reminding me.
But the optimus project does show some glitches for some distros(don't know about ubuntu , as they have nvidia prime).
But can one play highend games ?

Almost all desktop distros are equipped nowadays with drivers for the majority of modern graphics cards, which means that just about any distro can be turned into a gaming station.

Members online