What type of installation should I do? (Dual Boot / Live CD / Fresh Install / Virtual Installation)

captain-sensible

yes several distros have "live" versions.Generally thats all they are ; the live version is for live usb use , but most live also have an install version. Some i've read can install from the usb.

I can really only mainly help with slackware, i'm out of date for everything else but several others here use Mint etc . this site is worth a visit ; you can play with many distro to check them out: https://distrotest.net/

So i've already guessed your next question- "so what does getting linux onto a usb involve?" .

basically you get an .iso file of the linux live you want to use. You put it onto a clean or virgin usb stick of appropriate size.I have never used it but i here some use "rufus"

sounds more like a mutt to me but there you are

You go into your bios of your PC and make sure it can boot , or maybe boot first from a usb. Secure boot if you have it will stop you booting from usb so if you have that disable it

jaffafa

yes several distros have "live" versions.Generally thats all they are ; the live version is for live usb use , but most live also have an install version. Some i've read can install from the usb.

I can really only mainly help with slackware, i'm out of date for everything else but several others here use Mint etc . this site is worth a visit ; you can play with many distro to check them out: https://distrotest.net/

So i've already guessed your next question- "so what does getting linux onto a usb involve?" .

basically you get an .iso file of the linux live you want to use. You put it onto a clean or virgin usb stick of appropriate size.I have never used it but i here some use "rufus"

sounds more like a mutt to me but there you are

You go into your bios of your PC and make sure it can boot , or maybe boot first from a usb. Secure boot if you have it will stop you booting from usb so if you have that disable it
so can we hop around with it ? like take it work computer or in someone elses laptop ?

diadline

Hi, I wanted to install linux on my Windows 10 Laptop. I like using Endless OS, but i feel not enough. But quiet confused with installation. Because Endless OS installation is easy. There is and .exe, no need to download iso and soon.

Seamless and effortless process. Is there any Linux that have same process installation like that? Thank you.

jglen490

So it's Linux that has been reduced to nothing more than a Windows app?

That's sad, and it will not give you the actual look and feel of Linux.

My recommendation, blow Windows away and install Linux. If you have to keep Windows for some strange purpose, then dual boot. Or find an extra machine, say an older laptop and run one OS on one machine and one OS on the other.

Staff online