What was your first Linux distribution?

My first distro was some build of Damn Small Linux, around 6 or 7 years ago. Needed to try recovering some files off an old laptop that was having boot errors. It wasn't until a couple years later that I started using Linux regularly.

I had used Debian.now i going to work on Ubuntu.that is derived from the debian

Ubuntu's great, I think you'll like it a lot. When I found it I was so happy, I had tried so many distros before finding it.

I had used Debian.now i going to work on Ubuntu.that is derived from the debian

Ubuntu is derived from Debian but it is not Debian. It has its own repositories and its own way of getting things done. Actually there is still a lot to be explored in Debian. Have you tried some of the other desktop environments like Blackbox and Window Maker?

Ubuntu is derived from Debian but it is not Debian. It has its own repositories and its own way of getting things done. Actually there is still a lot to be explored in Debian. Have you tried some of the other desktop environments like Blackbox and Window Maker?
I don't think he was implying that Ubuntu was Debian, but was most likely just providing facts for those who didn't know that Ubuntu was derived from Debian.

I don't think he was implying that Ubuntu was Debian, but was most likely just providing facts for those who didn't know that Ubuntu was derived from Debian.

Yes, I believe he is aware that Ubuntu is not Debian. I just wanted to point out the difference just in case those who do not know will think that they can use Ubuntu and Debian interchangeably. Debian and Ubuntu has got separate repositories which are not interchangeable.

I first bought RedHat Linux OS 6.0 for use on a Thinkpad i1412. As a first time Noob, this didn't go well.
Next was Sun's JDS, which installed, but, sound wouldn't enable. A common problem in the early 80's, but, it allowed me to experience Linux, learn some basic Bash commands and realize that I needed to learn more so I could rid myself of Windows.
Mandrake 9.2 came next, then PCLinuxOS, then Mepis 6.5. I've become a fully functioning Linux user at that point and started erasing Windows off of my boxes.
Started with sidux and learned a great deal, I used it for a couple of years. Onset of KDE 4.0 made me look for a Gnome2 based distro, and I found Fedora, which I've been using ever since. Except the Gnome3 horror show had me switch back to KDE. By this time KDE 4.5 was very much as stable as the old KDE 3.
As I used Fedora, my old friends (the sane ones) from sidux forked aptosid and started "siduction". I became a user and a contributor to siduction.

So, now half my machine run Fedora, the other half run siduction, and, I'm a happy Linux camper.

CentOS 5, on a Trixbox distro. Actually was running it in a VM on a whim, and never thought it would work. Now im running PIAF on CentOS 6, and I have done other stuff(webservers and VPS'es).

My first Linux distro was Fedora. I enrolled in a Unix Admin class in college and I figured I should try to become familiar with *nix before the class started.

In hindsight, I should have started with something a little more geared towards beginners.

Yes, I believe he is aware that Ubuntu is not Debian. I just wanted to point out the difference just in case those who do not know will think that they can use Ubuntu and Debian interchangeably. Debian and Ubuntu has got separate repositories which are not interchangeable.
Actually, a lot of Debian repositories are interchangable. That's part of why Debian distros are so awesome in my opinion.

My first Linux distro was Sam 2007

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=samity

It was a really good distro based on PClinuxOS. Had lot's of support out of the box too. But I don't think It has been updated since 2009. A shame because it had a nice little busy community attached too. I still keep a disc of it for old times sake.

Ubuntu 8.04 was my first linux distro. I love Ubuntu for its easier and the installation cd is under 700mb yet most packages fit right in it. I started with the server edition then went to the desktop one.

Ubuntu 7.04. I didn't know how to customize it back then and ran it in its default "ugly" mode.

Mine was . . . hold on remembering, becuase it has been awhile. I would have to say PHLAK that a friend was having me play around with.

My first is Fedora, Ubuntu 7.10 in desktop, server side Redhat 9...

Coherent on my 1st PC/AT (80286) clone system back in 89 / 90?