What would you like to see most in minix?

Cyber_Cyrus

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everybody out there using Linux!

I have constructively chose my title as such, since when I read the 8 words completing the sentence, I can't help but be in awe as to what a community of like-minded people, not unlike the community we find ourselves in here, can achieve. The title makes me reflect back to the histories of Linux. I can't help but to admire all those software developers who wanted to share, create and innovate and who layed the foundations for us to build upon and improve. What started off as a project, after millions of lines of codes, thousands of hours and thousands of people working together, we now find ourselves with this open source software known as Linux, with hundreds of distros, and endless possibilities. Boy that excites me!

It excites me because now that I have finally made my move, and migrated over to Linux, I can be part of this community.

I wish I could tell you that I am a walking Linux bible, but unfortunately my skill is not nearly as good as I would want it to be. What I can tell you though, is that I am willing to soak in all that is Linux. Willing to learn as much as I possibly can from everyone in this community. Hopefully in the near future, I will have the opportunity to work with some of you, and contribute in doing so.

I look forward to our journey together!

Welcome to the community! That's a great attitude towards wanting to learn more! How did you come across Linux and what made you decide to make the switch?

Thank you f33dm3bits for the warm welcome!

My first encounter with Linux was back in my first year in college. Out of all my subjects, I scored by far the most marks in Linux. So you could say from day 1 when I first layed eyes on it, I knew this was something I want to teach myself and see how far this mountain reaches.

When I entered the workforce, Linux was put on the side and my focus shifted towards subjects relating to the title I held at my job. It was like putting my favorite shoes in the closet and watching it pick up dust over the years. Linux never left my mind, I just never had the motivation to dust of the shoes and see how far it will take me...until now.

I have recently been given the responsibility to manage our business application's database and server. This forced me to revisit those hundreds of Linux documents that I kept archived for all these years. When I started going through these documents, it was like a spark was ignite within my mind and the love I once had for Linux returned.

Before I knew it, my Linux station was all set up and other operating systems like for example Windows, seemed underwhelming.

And here I am...In a community I know I can learn so much from and who share the fondness I have for Linux.

PS: Apologies for the Lord of the Rings length posts, bad habits...

Sounds like you have found a new hobby! :) It may vary when you get more responses to your post because we have members from all over the world. Speaking of which is late in my part of the world so I'm logging off!

Hey... hey... HEY! Easy there! The only bad habit is skipping 2nd breakfast! ;)

Welcome to the forums. It's a nice friendly place to hang out and share an ale or two. Cheers!

It has been a while since I played with Minix. It's okay installing it with no graphics, but a nice live environment and GUI installer would make it more approachable to people.

@Cyber_Cyrus
Welcome to the forums
from your absents you will have noticed how far Linux has moved on, and it continues to evolve almost by the hour, whatever is your selected path [Linux for servers,business,gaming,or just stable desktops] there will be very few days you won't learn something new,
Should you find yourself in need of forum assistance, please give details of your equipment [make model& modifications] together with your distribution and issue number, what your problem is and what you have tried to fix any issues. .
Apart from that pull up a chair , kick off your footwear, grab a drink, read end enjoy the ride.

Bwiz

Tolkien is nobody's bad habit :)

G'day Cyrus and welcome.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Should you find yourself in need of forum assistance, please give details of your equipment [make model& modifications] together with your distribution and issue number, what your problem is and what you have tried to fix any issues.

Thank you for the advice. I will take note of this should I ever need assistance (Probability 100%) in the future. I will try my best to resolve them at first since this will grant me the opportunity to learn from my own experience. If after this I still can't resolve the issue, I would have to rely on the people within this community who is most probably light years away from me in terms of Linux proficiency. It is either this, or I should build a spaceship for my mind, to travel light years ahead in the space called Linux. My mind tells me the sooner will get my issue resolved much faster.

Welcome aboard and enjoy our forum. Love your enthusiasm - and willingness to learn a great attitude to have I have seen too many threads over the years where people ask questions but won't their hands dirty.

Members online