• We did not send an email asking for donations - please read this post.

What's the best Stout you've ever tasted?

forester

Reaction score
Credits
@KGIII got me thinking about beers and ales in a recent post.

"He who drinks beer thinks beer," I've been told.

It must be true, because even though I do not drink anymore, I can still taste it on occassions becoming less frequent as time passes.

But, for me when I was drinking, it was ABC Stout out of Singapore. I liked it better than that famous Irish brew, myself.
ABC-stout-label.png

What's your opinion on the best stout the world has to offer?

Last edited:

Oldhabbits

Reaction score
Credits
I don't like Stout... ;-) But I'm not a beer-drinker, I like (red) wine better ! :)
Cheers, Eddy

Dart

Reaction score
Credits
The best stout I've ever had, is one My brother and I "tweaked."

Spread it on Toast Stout.

It's a recipe that my brother found on a brew board back in the early '90's. We brewed a few more than a few batches over the next 7 or 8 years. Stouts (my favorite), wheat, amber ale, ipa, etc. Tweaking them as we went. I'd let mine Stouts sit in the Carboy for 6 months or more. He once asked me, how can you let them sit so long?!? I said, they're off in a corner of the basement at a nice steady temperature... I forget about them. :D

I live in Michigan, he in Illinois, so taste testing the others brew was difficult at best. His job took him over the majority of the eastern half of the US. He'd stop by when he was anywhere near me, he always brought samples with him. After taste testing each others brew, we'd play F-117A Stealth Fighter, each flying a full three hour mission. Some long and wonderful nights.

Sorry for the rambling post. It just brought back some very fond memories of time shared with family.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I'll stick to mass-market products, as I have some fairly local microbrews that are excellent.

So, my favorite would be Murphy's Irish Stout.

Brickwizard

Reaction score
Credits
@arochester
it was good when it was full strength [I dont know if its still brewed in the UK, but the abv dropped from 4.9 to around 2,3 , i believe it is still brewed under licence at full strength on one of the Pacific islands , but the UK has so many microbreweries now you never know if you will find a stout on their list,

Dart

Reaction score
Credits
For commercial stouts, Lion Stout out of Sri Lanka has been a long time favorite. I tend to save a bottle from each beer that really impresses me. While looking around in the basement, I came across an unopened bottle of Goose Island, bourbon county brand stout, Circa 2020. My eldest son's 40th birthday is coming up the week. We'll have to see how it rates. :)

OP
forester

forester

Reaction score
Credits
Black, bitter and heavy with good balance and around 5% was what I went for.

$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Linux.org Hosting Donations
Consider making a donation

Members online