What's the difference between a PC Linux and Server Linux

expmrb

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,

Pardon me if I am being too odd.

I don't know much about PC Linux. And my hosting is providing me SSH access for Server Linux.

So, what's the difference between their codes? Are they alike or different?

I don't know about codes. But I am willing to learn.

Root access server codes are they similar? Since the OS's of the server are the same just like the PC's such as Centos, Ubuntu etc.

If anybody can provide me any tutorial where I can learn all the commands and what nots of linux server then it will be really helpful.

Thanks.

There is absolutely no difference between a server and a computer other than its role. If you were to download a server edition of an operating system it will usually be a bloatless version running core services and during installation might as ask you want to install services like mail, ftp, ect.

I will say this, Im not sure about the other distros but ubuntu server usually doesnt run with a GUI. so its all commands until you install a desktop environment.

If you want to become a server administrator maybe start with centOS. its a free version of Redhat.

There is absolutely no difference between a server and a computer other than its role. If you were to download a server edition of an operating system it will usually be a bloatless version running core services and during installation might as ask you want to install services like mail, ftp, ect.

I will say this, Im not sure about the other distros but ubuntu server usually doesnt run with a GUI. so its all commands until you install a desktop environment.

If you want to become a server administrator maybe start with centOS. its a free version of Redhat.

I am trying to learn how to operate the root access of the server. So, you are suggesting to start with Centos, right? Are there any good tutorials that you might wanna refer?

G'day @expmrb and welcome to linux.org :)

I'm from DownUnder (Oz - Australia) and we have people in all sorts of timezones, so there may be some delays with responses.

I'm moving this Thread to General Server, where hopefully it will attract the responses you need on guides and Tutes.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Hey there - welcome to the forum!

There's nothing really standardized in corporate environments when it comes to Linux.. Your best bet is to learn RHEL based (Centos etc..) as well as Debian based (Ubuntu etc).

There really isn't much difference between the two besides the installation packages (yum vs apt)... and where some applications live (httpd vs. apache2).

Hey there - welcome to the forum!

There's nothing really standardized in corporate environments when it comes to Linux.. Your best bet is to learn RHEL based (Centos etc..) as well as Debian based (Ubuntu etc).

There really isn't much difference between the two besides the installation packages (yum vs apt)... and where some applications live (httpd vs. apache2).

So, basically you are telling me that if I learn CentOS and Ubuntu then I will be able to handle the root access to the servers?

So, basically you are telling me that if I learn CentOS and Ubuntu then I will be able to handle the root access to the servers?

"root access" you keep using that word, i do not think it means what you think it means.

Just pick up ubuntu, buy some books or courses and just start learning. I do the same thing as you, when i come up to a new technology I imagine its hyper complicated and i go at it as if it were a bomb. Once you get elbow deep into linux you'll realize you made a terrible mistake and now your stuck in a world of unexplained errors and you'll realize how much lifting windows did for you.

But seriously, just start now, dont worry about the distro of linux you're using. Just start learning about the filesystem, terminal, and use a virtual environment for your own well-being.

"root access" you keep using that word, i do not think it means what you think it means.

Just pick up ubuntu, buy some books or courses and just start learning. I do the same thing as you, when i come up to a new technology I imagine its hyper complicated and i go at it as if it were a bomb. Once you get elbow deep into linux you'll realize you made a terrible mistake and now your stuck in a world of unexplained errors and you'll realize how much lifting windows did for you.

But seriously, just start now, dont worry about the distro of linux you're using. Just start learning about the filesystem, terminal, and use a virtual environment for your own well-being.

I already started learning. But I started with CentOS.

Members online