Where am I?

mbunds

Reaction score
Credits
There's increasing general interest in Linux suddenly, and I haven't done any serious statistical analysis yet, however my "butt-dyno" seems to be telling me that people have had it with Microsoft's latest attempt to remain relevant by obsoleting a significant portion of PC workstations because of Windows 11 "security" requirements.

That's what did it for me, and I see I am not the only one purging Windows out of my workstations, but I also notice various ways to circumvent Windows hardware requirements and possibly allow it to run unmodified by hacks meant to bypass certain checks.

That's why ya just gotta love Proxmox and QEMU, because it will provide everything Win 11 thinks it needs, like virtual UEFI drives supporting "safeboot", TPM services, but with added control "beneath the surface" to take control of traffic on a virtual network and short-circuit Win 11 shenanigans! (In theory, anyway)

Once Windows is totally debrided from my servers and workstations, there will be only three virtual instances remaining to allow support for those poor souls out there who can't read the writing on the wall.

It just tears at me that so many are asking lately if "Linux is ready for prime-time?", to which I answer that "it has been for a very, very long time, but people don't want to learn anything", so companies like Apple and Microsoft pop-up with their "big crayons for little minds" that do everything for you, until they don't, which is when things get stupidly expensive.

So I have been working with Proxmox, Boxer, and Kubernetes, for server/cloud solutions, and for general desktop workstation use I find Ubuntu MATE and Mint Linux (Cinnamon) to be very helpful in managing delirium tremens suffered by recovering Windows addicts as they get used to the real world.

I also just have to say that new Linux users would love Proxmox too, I know it's a little heavy, but once you build a VM and create a snapshot, you are free to hose the instance of your VM, creating kernel panics and all, and you don't even have to care if it doesn't boot, since you can restore the VM snapshot in seconds and have another go.

Also, I've been working with Linux in limited ways for more than 20 years and only now am really ramping-up studies, so I'm still a rank noob.

If I can do it, you sure the hell can!!!

There's no sudden uptick in activity here, nothing beyond our normal steady growth.

The desktop Linux market is still in the 2 to 3 per cent area.

I wouldn't count your chickens before they hatch. People say this every time a new Windows OS comes out and each time 'well this will be the last straw for people' - and it never happens. Surely this time will be different!

Hint: It probably won't.

While I do love me some Linux, I'm pretty sure we're destined to slow, and I do mean slow, growth over time. That's okay, Linux has tons of growth outside the desktop market. The missus wants me to get a new fridge that I'm pretty sure runs Linux. (I have so far declined as the stuff I have currently is mostly industrial, that means repairable, including said fridge. It's also stainless, so a timeless design.)

Folks have been clamoring about how it's the year of Linux on the desktop pretty much since Linux was a desktop choice.

@mbunds -- Welcome!
I believe some would call what you're experiencing as the newbie 'Pink Cloud' -- wanting to let others know of what they are missing -- but they don't want to make the effort -- rational ignorance?

@mbunds ....I love your positivity.

I decided I should move this, as it's not really a question about getting started. It's in off-topic now, which isn't a slight - it's just the best place for it. Everyone will still see it and it's more conducive for discussion of the topic at hand.

So, this isn't a penalty or anything (@OP). It's just housekeeping.

Welcome to the Forum.
happy0005.gif

If windwoes users really want to switch to Linux and learn...they will. It doesn't matter what we say as they have to experience it for themselves. ;)

I decided I should move this, as it's not really a question about getting started. It's in off-topic now, which isn't a slight - it's just the best place for it. Everyone will still see it and it's more conducive for discussion of the topic at hand.

So, this isn't a penalty or anything (@OP). It's just housekeeping.
I'll be more careful next time; I'm just getting over-zealous the more I learn about the ways Linux is freeing me from the never-ending traps set by the commercial houses.

There's no sudden uptick in activity here, nothing beyond our normal steady growth.

The desktop Linux market is still in the 2 to 3 per cent area.

I wouldn't count your chickens before they hatch. People say this every time a new Windows OS comes out and each time 'well this will be the last straw for people' - and it never happens. Surely this time will be different!

Hint: It probably won't.

While I do love me some Linux, I'm pretty sure we're destined to slow, and I do mean slow, growth over time. That's okay, Linux has tons of growth outside the desktop market. The missus wants me to get a new fridge that I'm pretty sure runs Linux. (I have so far declined as the stuff I have currently is mostly industrial, that means repairable, including said fridge. It's also stainless, so a timeless design.)

Folks have been clamoring about how it's the year of Linux on the desktop pretty much since Linux was a desktop choice.
True enough; I'm just having context-bias since I'm spending more time in Linux circles than the others lately. Still, the new Windows release was enough to cause me to make good on my threats to ditch it altogether, except for the zombie instances that will be installed on virtual machines.
I will, however, promote the positive experiences I have been having with Linux distros lately everywhere I can, like a kid in a candy shop with an unlimited budget.

Still, the new Windows release was enough to cause me to make good on my threats to ditch it altogether, except for the zombie instances that will be installed on virtual machines.

Oh, we will get some new users, but it's probably not going to be a giant wave of them. We're the first forum listed for the search term "Linux" and I'd be pleased if we got a dozen new users from it. I dunno if we'll get even that many.