Where can i find something like device manager in windows

OutThere

Reaction score
Credits
I have UNBUNTU 20.04 LTS, not sure my network card installed , would like to check the other hardware also for complete installation. my HDMI KVM is not working i have to connect an external keyboard and mouse.

There really isn't one. You can look for proprietary software by checking the preferences for software and updates (in Ubuntu). You can learn about your hardware easily with the terminal. There's lshw and inxi (which needs installation). There's also 'hardinfo' that you might enjoy.

i tried the hardinfo and sudo apt-get install hardinfo nothing happened , where should i be typing this in?

If it's not in your repositories (try apt-cache search hardinfo - it appears for me and is already installed) there's this:

It builds and provides a binary. I built it recently and it had a build error but the resulting binary file ran just fine.

I'd suggest learning to use inxi and lshw. Don't be afraid of the terminal. The terminal is awesome and you will learn many things there.

Hello!
The solid linux way is to using the terminal (open one by: ctrl+alt+T).
You first must check with `lshw` what Networkdevice is attached on your computer (normaly to find under the point 'pci ... -network'). Then you can check with `lsmod` what modules (driver) are 'automaticly' used. If there no built-in module fit for you card, you need to install it from manufacturer (if they have some for linux builded!). Search it on vendors page, download if possible and follow the installing instructions.
Good luck.

I have UNBUNTU 20.04 LTS, not sure my network card installed , would like to check the other hardware also for complete installation. my HDMI KVM is not working i have to connect an external keyboard and mouse.
What desktop are you using? Gnome? KDE? XFCE? which one? Post a screenshot if you don't know. Most of these provide some "similar" tools, so depending on that you might find the right one. KDE has KInfoCenter, in Gnome try Menu >> Applications >> System Tools, I think XFCE uses hardinfo not sure though. If anything, read here https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/s...dentification-tools---now-with-more-GUI-1104/ and of course there's the terminal way.

Hope this helps! :)

thanks for all of your replies. Tolkem how do i know if i have KDE or XFCE, ROBODOCTOR I will try that. KGlll I will try that too...lol this is like the 90s again when i was learning windows. i got to the internet so the network card was working. i had the linux box plugged into my sonic wall and apparently did not like that, probably was not getting an ip address from the dhcp server. so i plugged it into my verizon action tech router.
MY next question is my HDMI KVM does not seem to work I have to use an external keyboard and mouse. The KVM has an HDMI and USB port that goes to the LInux box. is there enhanced USB drivers for Linux ? I went to the manufacturers web site and they do not even list the model of KVM i have.

If you installed Ubuntu from the Ubuntu download page and not some other Ubuntu flavor download page you are probably using Gnome since that is the default Desktop Environment for Ubuntu.

Tolkem how do i know if i have KDE or XFCE
Take a screnshot of your desktop, post it here and we'll tell you. Also, you can run a web search for each, i.e. search for KDE, Gnome, XFCE images.

To find out your Desktop Environment, open a terminal and copy/paste this command:
Code:
echo $XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP
Good one!! How could I forgot environment variables.

How could I forgot environment variables.

Guess you forgot this one too

Code:
echo $DESKTOP_SESSION

:)

We can't all remember everything, that's why we back each other up.

Good community.

Wizard

Avagudweegend

Code:
echo $DESKTOP_SESSION

:)

We can't all remember everything, that's why we back each other up.

Good community.

Wizard

Avagudweegend
Many roads lead to Rome, I can't think of them all at once ;)

Last edited:
There's a difference, at least with Zorin OS:

find-desktop.png

And with FreeBSD:
bsd-desktop.png

Last edited:
Also with Peppermint (shows as Peppermint, but I am not in there at the moment).

There are exceptions to every rule.

I lean towards the DESKTOP_SESSION one because it was the first I learnt, and it has the output in lower case, which is what we use in commands.

Knew a bloke who took up FreeBSD, now what was his name?

Wiz

It's not really the same as windows device manager, but often you will have something that looks like...

1606004729795.png

Each one of these is a separate program that opens it own window.

To find out your Desktop Environment, open a terminal and copy/paste this command:
Code:
echo $XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP

Nice!
How could I forgot environment variables.
It happens to the best of us. I too forgot about them. lol

Code:
echo $DESKTOP_SESSION

There's a third one:
Code:
XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP
Here I got
Code:
echo  $XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP=KDE

thanks for the replies will try the suggestions and post a screen shot. Did anyone see my second question? My HDMI KVM does not seem to work with my Linux box. i have to use an external keyboard and mouse plugged into the usb port. The KVM has an HDMI and usb cable plugged in. its a brightlink 4 port.
-As for the Linux OS I saw something that said "shared GNOME 3.34 UBUNTU Stack.....is that what you need?
without each other's help there ain't no hope for us!
TEAM WORK MAKES THE DREAM WORK

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts