Where Did the Internet Really Come From?

Tolkem

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, everyone! Hope you're all having a nice life! :)
I just bumped into this while checking my feed: https://tech.slashdot.org/story/22/09/12/0312233/where-did-the-internet-really-come-from
An excerpt:
Where did the internet come from? When students are asked that by an assistant professor of media studies at the University of Virginia, some mention ARPANET or Silicon Valley — and "no fewer than four students have simply written, 'Bill Gates....'" But even beyond that, "The best-known histories describe an internet that hasn't existed since 1994..."

A long, long time ago...

Back when it was a hodgepodge of ARPANET and BBS, as well as individual company sites that you could dial into or whatnot, there were no search engines. You used to be able to pay someone to search for you - and it'd take a week or so to get the results back. This was generally used when all else failed and you really needed to access the research papers but couldn't find them on your own. It was a pricey service, like hundreds of dollars for a single search. They'd email you the results - or mail them to you in the regular mail.

I do not miss the old days - much/often... It was kinda cool how it was like the Wild West, but there was no way that was going to last. Allowing commercial activity was a necessary step, but the long term results are that the choice changed the 'net forever. Computers were obscenely slow back then, which was pretty terrible.

I also don't miss the old days and wouldn't want to go back knowing what I know now...I couldn't imagine being without the Internet...it's everything now.
m1203.gif

Imagine waiting 2 hrs for a newspaper page to load...this video says...you'll soon be able to read a newspaper on your computer...wow...ahh the old days.

Internet...what's that...do you write to it like mail.
confused0062.gif

Members online