Where did your username come from?

My username theprof was used by my students a while back when I used to teach Microsoft Certification courses... It kind of stuck since then... in my current job, I am always meeting with customers and doing workshops around DevOps tooling, so I continue the path of education and so I figured I'd keep that handle :)

I kind of thought that I had already posted in this thread, but for some reason the little ugly face from me is not showing on it, so I may have not.

gvisoc comes from my real name and family names, in plural: several non-english countries have 2 family names, one from the dad and another from the mum, as women don't give up their name when they marry. I had gone with just gviso until one day I found a service where that one was already taken, so I added the c.

I guess the underlying piece of info is that I never go anonymous in the interwebs. I do believe that privacy is a fundamental right, yes, but to me is different from anonimacy: prvacy means that I should be in control of what is known from me. And for me, folks knowing my name and face is generally fine.

I'm slow at learning, I use Linux 1 year and I have learned some basic things so far.
G'day and welcome.
I too am a slow learner but having shoved a few trades under my belt in my lifetime the main thing I learnt is that everything is built from the basics. As you gain more confidence with the basics you will find the more complex is less frightening thus easier to learn and understand.
As @old timer said the more you use it the more you learn.

Sorry Mods,for bumping, but this has not been used for over a year, and with so many new members, I wondered if they may like to join in.

Sorry Mods,for bumping, but this has not been used for over a year, and with so many new members, I wondered if they may like to join in.
Alright, I'll play. My name here, "Sphen", is not an alternate spelling of "Sven".

-> "Sphen" is short for "Spheniscidae". :)

I have left it as a exercise for the student to do your own research. It is family and work safe.

"Spheniscidae" -- the Penguin family. Educated as a Plant Ecologist, I recognized a Family name. That it was one of warm fuzzies I did NOT know, Zoology 101 did not cover it, Clever!

Where did my handle name originate? Simple -- my vehicle. Plus I've always loved forests.

I've had quite a few over the years. This one's fairly new for me.
Matt is my first name. My last name starts with "Win", but winter is way easier to say and spell than my real last name.
Also, I love hockey, snow, Iceland, and Toronto, so it fits.
On a related note, my wife and I just moved across the country and the closest big city to us now is Pittsburgh, which boasts the NHL team, the Pittsburgh Penguins! So now I have multiple reason to be a Penguins fan. Here is their mascot, Iceburgh:
1674053534993.png

I have a Paranoid Shizophrenia. And was the most privacy focused linux nerd in my apprenticeship as "Fachinformatiker" / Sysadmin. We had no Linux in this class and I tought myself everything about Linux. This got me a pretty awesome job as Junior Linuxadmin. Also I am very interested in "Conspiracy Theories"
so:
1) Psychosis
2) Linux / Privacy Nerd
3) "Conspiracy Theories"

So in my class they gave me the nickname tinfoil-hat (in my mothers tounge). And I just stuck with it

Mine's pretty simple. Not too long before I ran across this site, I acquired a '67 Dodge Dart. It's in very good shape for it's age. It'll run the 1/4 mile in the low 13's / high 12's. Nothing to write home about but definitely fun to drive. So Dart seemed logical. The more "seasoned" of you may recognize the avatar by Robert Crumb, one of the many iterations of Keep on Truckin'. Yea, I'm that old. :)

I acquired a '67 Dodge Dart. It's in very good shape for it's age.

I have a Dart in my stash. It's just the six cyl., and pretty gutless. I have it because it's something I owned when I was much younger and wanted to own it again.

I actually plan on sending it out to turn it into a 'resto-mod'. I want the cheesy LS swap, lowering, new suspension, brakes, and bags. Everywhere I trust has a two year turnaround time, so I haven't sent it out yet. I might have it done locally and then sent out for paint.

Mine came from the Disney movie "Jungle Book" I was the only long blonde-hair, blue-eyed, caucasian color skinned Native out of about 350 other Natives at the boarding school were at. They actually looked like your traditional Native with long dark hair and skin.

I have a Dart in my stash. It's just the six cyl., and pretty gutless. I have it because it's something I owned when I was much younger and wanted to own it again.

I actually plan on sending it out to turn it into a 'resto-mod'. I want the cheesy LS swap, lowering, new suspension, brakes, and bags. Everywhere I trust has a two year turnaround time, so I haven't sent it out yet. I might have it done locally and then sent out for paint.
I used to build straight sixes. A slant six like in a Dart CAN go from 'gutless' to respectable with a few mods, depending on the year. My '64 Rambler American sleeper ccould beat same vintage stock 289 Mustangs all day long with a 232 six. PM me if recommendations wanted.

My current username, ¨bodaciously Moronic¨ is simple. it came from my experience of being moronic and impaired. I may be dumb but at least I'm good at it, which is where bodacious comes from. My old username ¨J_forMyCat42x¨ also had a bit of meaning behind it. J is the latter my first name starts with and ¨ForMyCat¨ is just because I love my cat. And 42x is my racecar number.

A slant six like in a Dart CAN go from 'gutless' to respectable with a few mods, depending on the year.

Oh, absolutely. I just plan on a resto-mod for this one. As for six cyl engines, I'm in love with the flat-six and those can be pushed to insane levels of power. Then, Nissan has had some brilliant six cyl engines over the years.

I have no idea where I came up with my name from, or what It means, other then it sounds cool! hahaha

Just bumping this topic so it is visible again for any new users that would like to share where their username came from.

Members online