Where to download linux

Manny01

Reaction score
Credits
I am new to Linux and I am trying to learn. I have been using Java so a friend told me that Kali Linux shouldn’t be hard to learn.

now the problem is to find a trusted source To download.

anu sugestións?

thanks,

well as i remember java can run on any platform due to its "java virtual machine" ; you should be able to play with Java on any Linux OS; for playing with web servlets you will need to have Tomcat set up with Apache.

All that should be possible with Mint

To start forget run time and just install JDK that contains dev and runtime .

Don't know who keeps telling new users that Kali is a beginners distro - causes so many problems.

Kali could also do a better job making visitors aware of this, and they could do a better job of explaining that it's not designed to be used as a regular desktop OS.

I would hate a new user to be discouraged by not being able to to connect to use it or configure or use Kali. Something like Linux Lite makes it really easy by lots of helpful configuration dialogs. I don't expect Kali to do this as this distro is not in the beginner friendly niche.

Being a bit mischievous, I now kinda want to tell newbies that they should start with Linux From Scratch.

If you're new to Linux you could give Linux Mint a spin.

Try it in a virtual machine that way you won't be stuck with an installation that you don't like.

Another nice distro if your new to Linux is Zorin OS.

Make sure you select the right .iso image for your computers architecture.
By architecture I mean is your machine a 32-bit or 64-bit pc.

Start here and once you become familiar how Linux works than you can try other distros.

Don't try to learn to much to quick and become confused and discouraged and then give up.

Our downloads page here

https://linux.org/pages/download/

has a number of options you could look at on a USB stick Live, to see what suits and search for Java capability.

Yes, it does include Kali, and we have a Kali section, but it is way not for beginners. I keep mine chained up, and feed it updates occasionally.

I endorse the suggestions by my friends above.

Welcome to linux.org :) :)

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Thank you all. Yes, being a newbie is not a good feeling. After your suggestions I start doing a little research and I am understanding a little bit more.

again, I appreciate it.

Probably as good an approach as any is live boot something like Mint from a usb stick.if you try Ventoy and have say a 16gig stick you can have Mint and Linux lite and choose to boot either just make sure you get the right iso for your architecture.have you confirmed yet 32 or 64

I don't normally watch TV, but have set out to watch live TV for the duration of the pandemic.

There's a commercial for learning a new language and the commercial has a line in it that I really like.

"In order to be good at something, you have to be pretty bad at it for a while."

We were all once n00bs. Not one single person here just started with Linux and knew everything there is to know about it. Not one of us.