which bit version of linux should i install?

lucifer_9

Reaction score
Credits
I'm currently using windows 10 64 bit want to upgrade to linux,I made a bootable USB of Kali 20.0 amd64 but while testing it shows "kernel support x86 64 CPU but detected i686" do I need i386 version of Linux?
(sony vaio vpceh25en,Processor:i3-2330M,8gb Ram)

from my understanding....
you dont have amd processor, but instead you have an intel processor or instead of downloading linux for amd you installed linux for an intel processor

Nooo!... AMD64 is commonly used to cover many 64bits. Even if you have an Intel processor use an AMD distro.

When loading Kali Linux does it load? It is probably just an information message. Otherwise, it would say Kernel Panic and not load

from my understanding....
you dont have amd processor, but instead you have an intel processor or instead of downloading linux for amd you installed linux for an intel processor
yes i have intel i3 processor and in system info it says 64 bit other than that architecture matters?
I downloaded the file shown in the picture it is 64 bit,is there other ISOs for intel processors?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    52.5 KB · Views: 379
Nooo!... AMD64 is commonly used to cover many 64bits. Even if you have an Intel processor use an AMD distro.

When loading Kali Linux does it load? It is probably just an information message. Otherwise, it would say Kernel Panic and not load
I didn't boot in the system,tested the iso and usb with Qemu simple boot and it shows the kernel message shown in the picture.i tested it with emutest it says this same message and with mobalivecd it says "qemu.exe" stopped working.usb not booting because of these testing softwares?

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    9.5 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:
An i3 is 64 bit. Use the 64 bit download. While you could use the 32bit OS version, you would impose limits on how much RAM it could address, among other things.

I'm currently using windows 10 64 bit want to upgrade to linux,I made a bootable USB of Kali 20.0 amd64 but while testing it shows "kernel support x86 64 CPU but detected i686" do I need i386 version of Linux?
(sony vaio vpceh25en,Processor:i3-2330M,8gb Ram)

Hi, when you use a USB Memory for run a Linux OS this memory can be damage whit the time of use, if you have 100 GB or 80 GB of free space in your laptop for example, you can create a additional partition in this free space. so, for this, you need to know about dual boot.

Exist a Linux USB version and only you need to have 15 GB of the free space. Good luck.

"kernel support x86 64 CPU but detected i686"
Just retrieved this from ask Ubuntu
in relation to this question "What is the meaning of 'i686' in Ubuntu?"
i686 means that you're using 32 bit OS.
As various posters have said, your kernel is 32-bit. The meaning of i686 deserves a little more explanation, however.
When compiling the Linux kernel (something that end-users don't generally need to do these days - the good people behind Ubuntu supply the kernel ready compiled), there are various options that you can tweak. One important option is CPU feature support.
All x86 CPUs are compatible with the original Intel 80386 (abbreviated i386), so if you want a kernel that's compatible with all x86 CPUs, you would compile an i386 kernel.
However, modern CPUs have many additional features (integrated floating point unit, MMX, etc.), which Linux can use if it is configured to do so. As a balance between backwards compatibility and performance, Ubuntu's kernel is compiled with support for the features that were available on the Intel Pentium II (sometimes abbreviated as i686), which is why the kernel shows up as i686.
This also partly explains why applications compiled for 64-bit processors are sometimes faster. The i686 first appeared in 1997, and modern processors have many features that were not available on the i686 (SSE, extra registers, etc.), but applications need to be compiled with support for these features, which might break compatibility with older systems. By contrast, x86_64 CPUs first appeared in 2003, so applications can be compiled with support for some of the features introduced between 1997 and 2003, without fear of compatibility issues.

This is a bit from Wikipedia
The P6 microarchitecture is the sixth-generation Intel x86 microarchitecture, implemented by the Pentium Pro microprocessor that was introduced in November 1995. It is frequently referred to as i686. It was succeeded by the NetBurst microarchitecture in 2000, but eventually revived in the Pentium M line of microprocessors

In system info it says x64 processor,I also use kali 32bit on hype-v and when i execute command "arch" it says i686 which is 32 bit, is it because of the 32bit os on hype v? or my system is really 32bit i'm noobie for linux but i use 64bit os for windows so i'm really confuse...

Attachments

• Capturee.PNG
    Capturee.PNG
    37.8 KB · Views: 365
If this were my pc I would take the word of system info. 64bit.

Try making a bootable 64bit Linux mint on a thumb drive, and boot to that.

Let us know the outcome.

Members online