Which Command Line Text Editor do you prefer?

D

DeeNeely

I prefer vim personally. I use it the most when modifying command files. It is not easy, but it is found on just about all the versions.

Do you have a preference? If so, tell me why?

I still use pico/nano because it is old school and easy to use

I use vi/vim..

Once you get the keys down, it's way faster to get in and edit something than any other text editor.. plus if you don't know vi, what are you going to use on systems that don't have emacs like FreeNAS, etc..? :)

I still use pico/nano because it is old school and easy to use

Pico and nano aren't commandline text editor. I thinks its just vi. I know nothing else besides this editor. I think its a standard editor to all linux derivatives and that vi needs to be in the system incase you might want to edit kernel lines upon booting.

Infact vi is present in bootable floppy disks.

I prefer Emacs... which I know isn't a favorite of the hardcore admins, but it works for me.

I use pico, I've tried other editors, but so far pico is my favourite. A long time ago I thought Linux commands would be impossible to grasp, how wrong was I.

I prefer using nano for editing any kind of files over SSH. I used to use vi/vim/vm before i began using nano but wasn't comfortable with it .

I also prefer using normal text editors like leafpad on debian.

I much prefer nano. I have tried vi, but can never get on with the close, save etc commands!

I prefer emn.

What? You've never heard of it? OK, I'll provide it for you:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
exec emacs -nw ${1+"$@"}

I am using vi/vim really haven't felt the need to try other editors.

I much prefer nano. I have tried vi, but can never get on with the close, save etc commands!

Yes :D, Nano is much user-friendly and keyboard friend i suppose :p . But i'm guessing the other editors could have similar features.

I find it simple to find/search keywords with nano : ctrl+w and various other shortcuts.

if i work on any text file ma mind goes on clicking towards vi/vim.....

vim is suitable only for masochists :) I personally use 'joe'. It was more popular some time ago.

I use emacs for all my text editing needs: shell scripts, web pages, PostScript graphics, crossword clues, email and usenet (editing only, not for reading or sending messages), etc....

vi-8/10
vim-7/10
nano-7/10
pico-6/10
I guess for me i find myself using a mix of vi and nano to be honest, vi is available everywhere and has a decent interface but sometimes i like nano even though i take longer. ps to tomfmason vi is "oldschool" not nano which was made in 1999

Members online

Latest posts