Which distro to install on a Chromebook

R

Ramu

Hullow,

I've got a Acer Chromebook. It do has a Hard drive, so it ought to be possible to install another os.
What distro do you recommend for this laptop and what problems do you think I may encounter that is different from a normal pc.

Thank you in advance.

Lifehacker has a nice writeup on how to install Ubuntu on a chromebook. The way they do it there seems kind of nice due to being able to quickly flip back and forth. I'm sure there are lots more options out there, but that should get you started.

I would think that you can probably get almost any distro you want to run on a Chromebook, the only problem I might expect would be finding drivers. Most of the time though it seems like most things are likely to be pretty standard.

I have the acer c7 chromebook and have tried both crouton and chrubuntu. The biggest difference with these is:

crouton: Runs on a chroot shell - allows you to run both chrome and linux at the same time - keystrokes to switch between them

chrubuntu: reboot to switch OS

I haven't figured out how to get anything to boot on it yet so i've just tried these two..

I would use Chrome OS or Chromium OS on a ChromeBook. This answer may seem too obvious, but that is what I would do. As an alternative, I recommend Ubuntu. If you are a hardcore Linux user, then try Slackware.

Enjoy your ChromeBook!

Members online