Which Distrobution to Choose

A

alexwebster

I have been searching for a distribution to choose for Linux. I have seen posts that says it does not matter and that you can just choose one. I am going to be programming in Java, PHP, and C++. I was looking at Ubuntu, Mint, OpenSUSE, and ArchLinux. Which of these four would be best to use? If you think another one is better then I am open for suggestions.

Hi Alex!
You will get so many opinions here it's like asking what color chicken should I be eating. :)
Linux is Linux is Linux is Linux....(you get the drift).
Since your getting started, Ubuntu will give you all you need. It has lots of software in it's depositories (Mint shares them as well). The main desktop is called Unity but there are others you can use like Gnome, KDE. Linux is that flexible you can install any desktop you want or even install them all if you so desire. Gets you to play around with each one so you can make an informed decision as to which one you like the most or whatever side of the bed you get out of.
Just make sure you have plenty of RAM, a decent processor and hard drive. My processor is an AMD Turion X2 with 2G of RAM and it works just fine. My laptop had Windows Vista installed previously and we won't go any further with comments about it. Download the ISO and burn the ISO to a DVD.
You'll be fine. I hope I haven't created any more confusion :)

Regards
Jim

Hi Jim,

I am taking a Unix class now but the instructor is using Ubuntu Sever in VirtualBox. I currently use CentOS for webhosting. I have an idea of what is going on but just wanted to learn more using a GUI and I have an Intel i5 with 8gb of RAM and a 1TB harddrive.

Do you recommend Ubuntu as what I should use and which preference of desktop environment do you prefer?

Thanks

Alex

Hi Jim,

I am taking a Unix class now but the instructor is using Ubuntu Sever in VirtualBox. I currently use CentOS for webhosting. I have an idea of what is going on but just wanted to learn more using a GUI and I have an Intel i5 with 8gb of RAM and a 1TB harddrive.

Do you recommend Ubuntu as what I should use and which preference of desktop environment do you prefer?

Thanks

Alex
I like to keep things simple stupid. :).
With your system, Ubuntu should serve you well. There are different off springs of Ubuntu, just a different GUI. For GNOME there's Ubuntu GNOME. For KDE, there's Kubuntu..etc. It's just a matter of playing around to see what works for you. I've used Fedora and Mint, But I've switched back to Ubuntu since the software availability is better in DEB formats. You could also, if you want, Debian (which Ubuntu came from). But for what your doing, Ubuntu should do just fine without reinventing the wheel. When you install Ubuntu, the desktop that comes originally is called Unity. Some like it, some hate it. From reading other peoples posts, it seems KDE is a favourite desktop. Check out distrowatch.com and see the screen shots to see if something perks your interest.

Regards
Jim

Members online

Latest posts