Which file system is most common for a linux server?

Slatts

Reaction score
Credits
exFAT
NTFS
FAT
Ext2fs

I can't find any information regarding this topic and these choices, help is appreciated, thank you.

Hello Slatts,
Welcome to the Forum.
I have no direct knowledge or statistical info on which file system is used in many linux servers. But I would presume that none of those listed would be the primary ones. Ext4 has for a long time been the standard of most Linux systems. But BTRFS and ZFS are making inroads and are being used more and more. Those file systems you listed of Windows/ Dos file systems and would most likely not be the first choice of those using Linux servers. If your not familar with the Linux files system I mentioned here is a brief description of each. In order to get more accurate info you will need to qualify what type of server your talking about.
and this one may also be helpful.

I don't see XFS listed here.
I would say ext4 was for a long time.
XFS is probably currently. We currently run BTRFS where I work on "most" systems.

I don't see XFS listed here.
I would say ext4 was for a long time.
XFS is probably currently. We currently run BTRFS where I work on "most" systems.
forgot about XFS :)

Redhat RHEL web site has this to say about file systems, I would presume any who use that in their server stack would use one that is suggested there:
Another way to characterize this is that the Ext4 file system variants tend to perform better on systems that have limited I/O capability. Ext3 and Ext4 perform better on limited bandwidth (< 200MB/s) and up to ~1,000 IOPS capability. For anything with higher capability, XFS tends to be faster. XFS also consumes about twice the CPU-per-metadata operation compared to Ext3 and Ext4, so if you have a CPU-bound workload with little concurrency, then the Ext3 or Ext4 variants will be faster. In general, Ext3 or Ext4 is better if an application uses a single read/write thread and small files, while XFS shines when an application uses multiple read/write threads and bigger files.

The ext fs variants are the most commonly used. Though XFS is very popular. Especially when there are a ton of small files (like image servers) due to it's efficiency when dealing with large amounts of small files.

There are others that are popular too like btrfs. ZFS only runs in user mode (fuse due to licensing conflicts) so while it's popular because it's far superior to btrfs (as far as filesystems with built in volume management) it isn't a great option for an enterprise setup because of the required use of fuse and therefore less popular. Though if you like ZFS on your home Linux server. I certainly used it for my converged virtualization / NAS servers. It is just an incredibly awesome filesystem. Sun and Oracle suck for giving it an incompatible license.

I'm still happily using Ext4 on mine.

Staff online