Which Linux distribution do you use?

Hmm... I just spun up an Ubuntu VM and can drag and drop files into folders just fine?
Yep I can drag and drop files fine in Ubuntu and Kubuntu So not sure what the problem might have been

Yep I can drag and drop files fine in Ubuntu and Kubuntu So not sure what the problem might have been

PBKAC issue, probably. :D

You might as well install EndeavourOS, it's the closest to vanilla Arch of all the Arch-based distributions or just use the built-in installation script.

I ended up using the script to finally get Arch installed. I had it operational. Trying to install a browser was a no go. Followed two different methods that seemed easy enough, but nope. One method I kept getting message that you can't install as root. I created an admin profile and then it just bombs. Method two got to the point of trying to download and install dependencies and would then take a huge crap. I'm not a Linux Jedi Master but I can follow step-by-step instructions. Don't think it's the hardware either. Lenovo Thinkpad 540.

If this should be it's own thread, can a mod break it out into one?

So far the experience has been rough. Finally managed to get it installed, but trying to get a browser installed has been a PITA. Have tried several different sets of directions and something goes up in smoke every time. With 2+ hours in installing and working on installing a browser, I'm about done. Right have I have it hardwired. If the circus that is installing a browser is any indication, I'll probably still be trying to get wifi working when I'm in a nursing home.

Maybe I'll give Manjaro a whirl :cool:
Manjaro is good too, if you want an easy install for arch you can start by using Anarchy iso. It is vanilla Arch under the hood but the installer helps you trough the process. It is very good for people willing to tinker more in arch but are stopped by the ellitism or arch forums.

I don't know why you had problems with browsers, they didn't give me much hassle back then. But maybe it is because you were missing some codecs ? That's the rough life of an arch user, you must be ready to jump into documentation everytime something goes wrong and it can be draining at times. Tough very rewarding in the long run if you plan on understanding linux in depth.

I agreed. But I was just attempting this to earn my Arch sticker.
I gave you an arch award for your effort. Maybe if you just want to check out arch you can try and install it in a VM. It's less time consuming if you can go back to a working desktop by just closing the emulator.

MX on 1 laptop and a Frankenstein'd HP laptop inside a electronics project box. Peppermint on a 2 in one Dell. Mint on a laptop and dual booted on a Rig I built.

Hmm... I just spun up an Ubuntu VM and can drag and drop files into folders just fine?
Well that's interesting to know, it must be related to hardware compatibility, when i was dual booting with ubuntu i had to use command like to transfer files. But no i'm not making it up don't gaslight me:p

Well that's interesting to know, it must be related to hardware compatibility, when i was dual booting with ubuntu i had to use command like to transfer files.

Hmm... Hardware shouldn't have anything to do with it? Even a touchpad should handle it just fine.

Ah well... Maybe there was some sort of glitch during the installation process, a borked download that was not catastrophically corrupted?

Hmm... Hardware shouldn't have anything to do with it? Even a touchpad should handle it just fine.

Ah well... Maybe there was some sort of glitch during the installation process, a borked download that was not catastrophically corrupted?

yeah any alternate explanation is nice since these kinds of problems with system programming are never easy to fix unless you made the software.

Another problem i've been having with both ubuntu and fedora is that there's something wrong the video drivers, a few years ago i had this problem and that's why i took a break from linux distros for a while. It's disheartening because it happens directly after booting...but luckily with SSDs you can just shut operating systems off without damaging anything.

on fedora, how would i update my graphics drivers specifically? I don't have a GPU, but i do have this:
Code:
Architecture:            x86_64
  CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
  Address sizes:         48 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
  Byte Order:            Little Endian
CPU(s):                  12
  On-line CPU(s) list:   0-11
Vendor ID:               AuthenticAMD
  Model name:            AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with Radeon Graphics

and a ROG Strix B550-I gaming motherboard.

I'd start a thread asking about that. I'd possible ping @f33dm3bits as he's really good at diagnosing graphics card issues.

I don't game so generally just use on-board graphics. They work like a champ pretty much universally.

I'd start a thread asking about that. I'd possible ping @f33dm3bits as he's really good at diagnosing graphics card issues.

I don't game so generally just use on-board graphics. They work like a champ pretty much universally.
when i had this problem with my laptop i wasn't using a graphics card, i overbuilt this current computer just because i built it entirely for programming education and didn't know what kinds of graphics capabilities i would need on my journey...i could have bought a cheaper processor lol it was the most expensive piece in the build but that apparently happens when you go mini-ITX by default.

I gave you an arch award for your effort. Maybe if you just want to check out arch you can try and install it in a VM. It's less time consuming if you can go back to a working desktop by just closing the emulator.

Thanks man, I appreciate that! :-D

I think you're the first person I've ever met that built their own PC with that format. That's the same size as they call "SFF", yes?

I think you're the first person I've ever met that built their own PC with that format. That's the same size as they call "SFF", yes?

According to Google thats a more generic term...mini-itx is the third smallest mobo size next to nano and Pico itx which probably has more of a corporate implication (controllers etc.), does raspberry pi fall into any of these sizes?

According to Google thats a more generic term...mini-itx is the third smallest mobo size
Mini-ITX systems are a pita to put together.

Last edited:
Mini-ITX systems are a pita to put together.
Idk dude, I think that of all of them with the amount dysfunctional hardware out there. In my old desktop with windows, through a process of elimination i found that my processor got fried, I don't understand how except I've heard those skylake processors have issues.

According to Google thats a more generic term...mini-itx is the third smallest mobo size next to nano and Pico itx which probably has more of a corporate implication (controllers etc.), does raspberry pi fall into any of these sizes?

Like one of these?

I have one of those that I keep around for testing. It's still a perfectly acceptable user experience. I've owned a couple of them and always have to remember to order low-profile stuff if I want to add anything like a video card.

LOL Well, it's pretty small - but not as small as a Wyze machine or anything.

Members online

Latest posts