Which Linux distribution do you use?

Using Manjaro XFCE for awhile and it does what i expect it to do very well.
So i am actually very happy.

I did use OpenSuse and sometimes Ubuntu. Though Manjaro seems to work very well for me.
Installation is for me without flaws. So i do not have to do much after to get things going.

Gaming was always one of my concern but it seems that field is going well too. Though i am still stuck to get modding working. Have to figure that one out. But that has not much to do with distribution itself.

I'm a long time Debian user. Been using it for donkeys years now.
I always install via the minimal net install, so I can avoid having to install the default Gnome 3 desktop (yuk!).
So I always start out with a minimal, terminal based install and then add X11, lightdm and dwm (tiling window manager) plus all of my other usual software. It's like installing Arch, but with less manual configuration and much older software. Ha ha!

I'm a long time Debian user. Been using it for donkeys years now.
I always install via the minimal net install, so I can avoid having to install the default Gnome 3 desktop (yuk!).
So I always start out with a minimal, terminal based install and then add X11, lightdm and dwm (tiling window manager) plus all of my other usual software. It's like installing Arch, but with less manual configuration and much older software. Ha ha!
Why don't you use Debian-testing then, that way you will have newer software. Also you can remove your displaymanager and just start dwm using xinitrc and starx, that way you will even more minimal.

Weird... All I have at hand (and I have very little time right now) is a stable Debian VM and it certainly has a reboot with 'sudo reboot'. To not have it in testing seems a strange oversight. I'd be interested in knowing their motivations behind that decision. After all, I'm pretty sure it's either from the kernel or the init system - like systemd. They'd (I'm pretty sure) have to intentionally remove access to it.

I shouldn't have said "erased", because how it works (when you've got multiple linux distros on one hard drive) is that they each have their own grub, the latest install is the only one you see until you change boot partition order in BIOS (as i have). To clarify, the debian bootloader did not give me the option of booting from fedora, my favorite linux distro so far. Ubuntu is cool though...since now i'm also experiencing other problems because of my installation of debian (now the FSC on both ubuntu and fedora take a long time to complete before i can be up and working...) I'm going to start everything over, and have only fedora and ubuntu paritions while testing new distros through virtual box only.

To be fair, debian certainly isn't a great OS for people who are fairly new to linux like I am...the first .iso i found just didn't work at all, the second one was the net-install .iso (probably why there's no reboot and all this stultifying security)...feel free to post a link to a good ,iso for the testing debian that's good for being installed from a flash drive.

If you game on steam put it to proton experimental and check the library page for the steam workshop if it has it you can find some mods.
Do not want to derail the topic but i am struggeling only with MO2. Even with Lutris all i think i get is that Skyrim starts but i can not add any mods. So i think i did something wrong at setting up MO2 through Lutris.
All i want is that i can use MO2 like i do on Windows. This should work but haven't gotten there yet.

If you game on steam put it to proton experimental and check the library page for the steam workshop if it has it you can find some mods.
steam gaming on linux is fine overrall but it's just not as open ended and simple as using windows, is there maybe a choice OS for linux gamers?

Why don't you use Debian-testing then, that way you will have newer software. Also you can remove your displaymanager and just start dwm using xinitrc and starx, that way you will even more minimal.
I used to use Debian testing until Debian 10 came out. And I was so happy with Debian 10, I stuck with stable.
I've only recently upgraded to Debian 11 stable. And I'm still liking things. So I'm pretty happy running the older software in stable. There's something to be said for not being on the bleeding edge all of the time.

Regarding using startx etc. Some years back I was just relying on booting to a login terminal and then using startx/xinitrc to start X and dwm as and when I needed to use a GUI application. But it wasn't very useful for when my kids came over and wanted to use my laptop. They couldn't get their heads around my completely alien setup! Ha ha!

So eventually, I ended up having to install a couple of "normal" desktops for them to use. So I installed lightdm as login manager and Openbox and Cinnamon for my kids to use. Entirely their choices and I never use them. When they come over, they'll log into their accounts/favourite desktop sessions on my laptop.

To be fair, debian certainly isn't a great OS for people who are fairly new to linux like I am..

It has some quirks but it's not a bad operating system. It's usually pretty stable and most folks will need to know how to get third party drivers and non-free software working.

Last night I created an Arch bootable USB and have a guide to follow. Will probably being the process tonight.

Good luck! It's not as hard as some folks make it out to be. In my years, I've tried pretty much every mainstream distro - at least once or twice. I've had many of them on bare metal and many of them virtualized as VMs.

I absolutely recommend that people try different distros - especially the 'hard' ones. You'll likely learn a great deal and you'll maybe find a new favorite distro.

These days, I appreciate a nice and easy install, lots of support options, a giant variety of software available by default, and consistency. That's why I'm a Lubuntu LTS kinda guy.

Good luck! It's not as hard as some folks make it out to be. In my years, I've tried pretty much every mainstream distro - at least once or twice. I've had many of them on bare metal and many of them virtualized as VMs.

I absolutely recommend that people try different distros - especially the 'hard' ones. You'll likely learn a great deal and you'll maybe find a new favorite distro.

These days, I appreciate a nice and easy install, lots of support options, a giant variety of software available by default, and consistency. That's why I'm a Lubuntu LTS kinda guy.

I agree. I think I've installed about every major distro except Arch and Gentoo. I ordered a pack of Linux stickers and one of them is an Arch sticker. Want to put it on my Swift 3 but not until I can say I've actually installed and used it. The hardest for me to day was in the early 2000's. I forget if it was RH or Fedora Core, but it involved installing from several CDs. But there was a sense of satisfaction when do.

I appreciate easy installs and good support too, which is why my primary distros are Mint and MX Linux.

Last night I created an Arch bootable USB and have a guide to follow. Will probably being the process tonight.
Good luck, it's a great distro that allows for very pragmatic workflow but it takes knowledge to maintain efficiently. Are you going for an encrypted install ?

I ordered a pack of Linux stickers and one of them is an Arch sticker

I've never been into the sticker thing - never ever putting a sticker on any of my guitars even. (I did let a toddler stick a Ms. Pacman sticker on an acoustic Fender that I don't care about.) But, that's it really - some gig stickers on some cases here and there, but not on my guitars - and never on my computers.

But, a variety pack of stickers might be fun. I can give 'em out to people. Do you mind sharing where you got them?

Good luck, it's a great distro that allows for very pragmatic workflow but it takes knowledge to maintain efficiently. Are you going for an encrypted install ?

So far the experience has been rough. Finally managed to get it installed, but trying to get a browser installed has been a PITA. Have tried several different sets of directions and something goes up in smoke every time. With 2+ hours in installing and working on installing a browser, I'm about done. Right have I have it hardwired. If the circus that is installing a browser is any indication, I'll probably still be trying to get wifi working when I'm in a nursing home.

Maybe I'll give Manjaro a whirl :cool:

Last edited:
So far the experience has been rough. Finally managed to get it installed, but trying to get a browser installed has been a PITA. Have tried several different sets of directions and something goes up in smoke every time. With 2+ hours in installing and working on installing a browser, I'm about done. Right have I have it hardwired. If the circus that is installing a browser is any indication, I'll probably still be trying to get wifi working when I'm in a nursing home.

yeah well the great thing about linux is you can keep trying different operating systems! I love that.

I decided not to stick with ubuntu because i was unable to drag and drop files into folders, wut?!

Raspberry PI platforn Twister Os, Debian raspberry OS, Ubuntu Raspberry Pi and Linux Mint Cinnamon main computer.
Tried to us Diet Pi OS on my PiZero but the wifi wouldn't work.

I decided not to stick with ubuntu because i was unable to drag and drop files into folders, wut?!

Hmm... I just spun up an Ubuntu VM and can drag and drop files into folders just fine?

You might as well install EndeavourOS, it's the closest to vanilla Arch of all the Arch-based distributions or just use the built-in installation script.

Members online