Which Linux distribution do you use?

Like one of these?

I have one of those that I keep around for testing. It's still a perfectly acceptable user experience. I've owned a couple of them and always have to remember to order low-profile stuff if I want to add anything like a video card.

the page says that the computer itself is

‎16.1 x 4 x 14.2 inches

my mobo dimensions are 6.7 X 6.7. That computer could be micro-atx, the biggest pain in the butt about mini-itx is finding a case that matches it's small size and a fan that's short enough if you do find a case of that size. Other than that, there's no difference in building it with the larger computers. Look for inwin products if you want to do that, otherwise a mini itx board fits in standard or SFF cases (don't know why you wouldn't want the smallest case possible though!). The noctua low-profile coolers work just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Interesting, thanks. You answered my next question - which was about cooling such a small enclosure.

Interesting, thanks. You answered my next question - which was about cooling such a small enclosure.
the other relevant tech bit is the fact those already-installed PSUs are 150 watts, which means you should be careful about how much stuff you plug into the mobo, mine could actually have a GPU if i wanted too but there's no point, i'm more of a windows gamer than a linux gamer. Learning programming is a game with all the failed program attempts and technical jargon, both part of the process even if you like school.

Unsolicited advice:

Once you do learn, keep your programming skills fresh. I used to be kinda proficient in a few languages and these days might be able to bust out a 'Hello World' at best. I failed to keep my skills sharp.

Unsolicited advice:

Once you do learn, keep your programming skills fresh. I used to be kinda proficient in a few languages and these days might be able to bust out a 'Hello World' at best. I failed to keep my skills sharp.

It is really just about learning languages, I've gotten into the habit of keeping text templates of what I learn, it works very well with web stuff since most of it is based on html.

QwyWDfB.png

I've gotten into the habit of keeping text templates of what I learn, it works very well with web stuff since most of it is based on html.

Yup. I have notes going back years. As mentioned in another thread, I've got 20+ text documents open pretty much as soon as I boot my main computer. Heck, most of my Linux site is just me putting my notes online in one form or another.

A relative late newcomer to Linux (i.e oldie) distro-hopped the main stream choices.
Just installed GeckoLinux Static. multiboot with Fedora 35 & Pop OS each on separate ssd's.
Linux Mint on laptops.
Next stop Slackware.

Welcome aboard. We have the Gecko dev here as a regular user.

@GeckoLinux

They'll be happy you chose their distro.

I voted Manjaro and Other because I just switched from Manjaro (again) yesterday to EndeavourOS.

I still selected Manjaro because for some reason I keep ending up back on it because the broken system after updates outweighs things not running well. That would be Pop, which I enjoy until it runs like thick syrup on a cold day, and Fedora which I really, really liked but it kept force powering my laptop off.

Here's to hoping EndevourOS will finally be home!
EndeavourOS and Manjaro and Fedora are rolling or semi rolling releases and those can sometime be problematic after updates.

I'm running EndeavourOS and was unable to update it because of a conflicting dependencies problem this one here.

Code:
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: jack2 and pipewire-jack are in conflict

With a bit of browsing EndeavourOS Forums I found I wasn't the only user with this issue and found a solution.

Code:
sudo pacman -R pipewire-jack

After running that command I went ahead and ran the command for updating the system and everything was good.

kelltech said:
Here's to hoping EndevourOS will finally be home!
mmm No i think that's a stepping stone to Vanilla Arch
Perhaps so as I'm learning a lot about using the terminal and commands so you may be right.

Slowly I go step by step I'll get there. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Manjaros team is lazy.

Idk dude, I think that of all of them with the amount dysfunctional hardware out there.
I only buy new systems, I meant that ITX motherboards and cases are so small that you don't have much room when putting it together.

I have used Linux Mint Cinnamon since 2015 and have found it to be very user friendly, stable and has all the tools I need.
happy0034.gif

Members online